Please Help! Lost 4 Fish In 3 Days!

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Jamie Hinton, Apr 13, 2017.

1. J

Jamie Hinton New Member Member

We have a 125 gallon tank with now 2 few puffers, lion fish, snowflake eel, a file fish and a clown fish. The tank levels including the salinity are perfect readings. None of the fish have signs of ick. But they're breathing heavy and we lost 3 puffers (1 was a Valentini very tiny, another waa the orange striped also small) and a blue jaw trigger in the past 3 days. What else could it be?? We have had 0 issues in this tank for almost a year now. Please help

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Check the temp of your tank, and increase the water agitation.

3. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you! Trying that now

Anybody have any ideas as to what might be happening? I'm new to the site and was hoping someone would be able to help

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  4. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

Hi Jamie,

When you say perfect readings... Can you provide us the reading anyways?
    What are you using to test your salinity and I'm assuming everything is well calibrated and etc... Also, what test kits are you using? And specifically, what is your Phosphates and Nitrates at?

Do you use any aerosol/freshener kind of spray around the house? Have you doubled check the temp? Have you done anything differently to the tank?

Typically when fishes are showing signs of heavy breathing, it change be lack of oxygen in the water. Things that can cause this... pumps/power-heads not providing sufficient flow to the tank and not enough surface agitation for gas exchange, temperature is too high, and or salinity levels are too high.

5. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you so much! I will check the levels today and get back to you with exact numbers. We are using the hydrometer to check salinity, and a master test kit to test the ammonia, ph, nitrates and nitrites. I'll check those again as well.

We moved the blowers to the top of the tank last night to create more agitation as the first person suggested. So far no other deaths!

Temp is 78°. Salinity is 1.025. Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate 0 ppm, PH 7.4, Ammonia 0 ppm

We do not use air fresheners

6. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

The ph seems low

Im new to this saltwater game my self and only have a 60 litre tank but i was told the ph should be 8 no less, things can affect it like the substrate the filtration and anything in the tank really i am just an amateur but will try help

7. OP
    OP
    J

I replied below I didn't see this option

8. APierce

I agree, the ph seems low. Maybe the water needs changed more often....

9. OP
    OP
    J

Well thank you! I thought everything had to be the least amount on the scale but I too am new at this! And frustrated already

How do we raise the PH level without harming the fish?

10. APierce

Hydrometers are notorious for being inaccurate. You might want to pick up a refractometer, and maybe take a small portion of water out and put fresh water in (like a quart)...see if it helps any. (Most people I've seen, had their hydrometers reading at 1.025 when they were at 1.030 :(

A water change would be the first thing I'd do. What kind of substrate are you using, and are you using ro/di water?

11. Nada Mucho

Nada Mucho Well Known Member Member

There is a ph Up and Down made for aquariums. I'm not sure if you can use the type that's used in hydroponics. Something like this:

12. OP
    OP
    J

What's a substrate?? And we are using TO water

13. grantm91

It depends how you want to go to get it up if this were to happen to me, personally id take the sponges out of my H.O.B filter and replace them with some crushed coral as i only have that hang on filter for mechanical filtration and to polish my water any way. There are chemicals you can get too i think maybe that would be better and quicker for you.

14. Nada Mucho

Nada Mucho Well Known Member Member

The stuff at the bottom of your tank. Sand, gravel, etc.

15. grantm91

[​IMG]

[​IMG] todays readings and a pic of my tank for you if it helps.

16. APierce

Substrate is what you put at the bottom of your tank...sand, crushed coral, argonite, etc.etc.

17. grantm91

Yeah you 100% need a refractometer get this 1 [​IMG] i paid £17 off amazon and its spot on + i would advise topping it up with fresh just for now like an emergency measure and try get everything up to what it should be in the next few days.

18. OP
    OP
    J

Oooh we have black sand in there and not that much just covering the bottom.

Grant - we have a Fluval filter that has sections and everything underneath. And yeah if your readings are correct, our PH level has never been that high cuz we thought it had to be 7! That being said, we have had the tank 8 months at a 7 and had no issues..

We are doing a water change now and then I'll wait a while and check it again. Thanks again so much for helping. We love our little guys!

Here is our tank

I will get a refractometer today! If they don't have that one ill get one for now and order it

Attached Files:

19. grantm91

Yeah any will do i said that one i have because its cheap and works good, and those fish are smart man hope they get through it im sure they will. You could do so much with the fluval external filter to buff ph and stuff just do some research about it, im not going to say your doing this and that wrong because ive made mistakes too but you live and learn just read read and read lol good luck.

20. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you so much for the help! I google everything lol I was happy to find this forum that's for sure

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice