Please Help Kribensis Cichlid Fry Care

1. Shawn Menard

Shawn Menard Member Member

So try to make a long story short I need help. I have a gorgeous breeding pair of cichlids and they are now on there second batch but the fry are vanishing. I've heard they will eat there babies due to being new parents but even there second. They seem like great parents. Always guarding them and she's reAlly quick to pick them up and spit them back out into the group. Both times she started off with 50 and they drop by about five to ten per day. They have there own planted tank. No Co2. I'm not sure what to do and what's going on. Earlier I bought a breeding net and when I scooped up the babies the mom came darting in the net picking them all up in her mouth. Lol. She seems like a great mom. And the dad seems like a great dad to.. please help!!! Also I managed to get four in the net.. I'll post some pics to

2. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

What size tank? Are there any dither fish in the tank with them?

3. OP
    OP
    Shawn Menard

The tank is a planted 29 gl. And no they have there own tank. When they first paired up I started up another tank for all my community fish. The first is there tank and the second is my community tank

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    Shawn Menard

Some pics of mom and dad and the babies!!

Attached Files:

5. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

As good as parents they might seem they still may eat their fry. When I'm breeding my cichlids i usually turn the light off and cover the tank with something to reduce as much stress as I can (stress can cause them to eat their own fry)

6. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

You might try putting in a few dither fish that gives the male something to protect the fry from and may help them from eating there fry. Do you have another tank to raise them in separately?

7. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Ok following. :) I'm in the process of convincing myself I don't need another tank and failing. Thinking about a pair of kribs.

8. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Timing? At around 3-4 weeks, the bond breaks and the pair will treat juvies as a threat to the next brood. I always move fry from that group out between the 3 and 4th week.

In the wild, they swim away, and only one with evil intentions will stick around. In a tank, the glass walls make them overstay their welcome.

Could that be it, timewise?

9. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Makes sence.

Too add my non-existence two cents... im curious as well :)

10. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

I separate fry as soon as they are free swimming, as soon as 6-9 days from hatching. You also need a bigger tank for your silver dollars.

11. OP
    OP
    Shawn Menard

Ya I've had the silver dollars in a 30gl and I only have two of them. He's not growing anymore so I'm not to worried. I would think that but the fry doesn't even last that long. Usually within a week after free swimming there all gone..

12. OP
    OP
    Shawn Menard

Also I don't have another tank to raise them but I got 4 of them in a breeder net. She has 20 left. Should I try and separate them or leave them??

13. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

If you don't have a tank to raise them in, they will not survive anyway. That's a fish that needs space and clean water to grow. Breeders provide none of the above.

14. grantm91

I got platy fry to a decent enough size in a breeder net, but honestly a 20g tank heater and sponge filter would be a fun investment for you to raise fry.

15. OP
    OP
    Shawn Menard

I'm not talking about keeping them in there forever just big enough to be on there own

16. OP
    OP
    Shawn Menard

I know I love them. I'd love to raise them to maturity.. I'm just confused about the vanishing fry..lol

17. grantm91

Yes its do-able i would say but with a tank that size would they be ok with more kribs or would they fight? Im no pro i don't know about these fish.

18. OP
    OP
    Shawn Menard

Eww touchy touchy.. being my male is full grown and a large male at that it probably wouldn't be a good idea. I had all my community fish with them at the beginning but as soon as the first batch hatched it was on. The male had every single fish pinned to one corner. I do have a smaller male in my community and I was thinking of getting him a female and if the fry survive they survive.. which they won't..

maybe a small school of really really fast fish might go in the tank without being to harassed. I have a school of 8 rasboras I was contemplating. Might give the male something to do

19. p

plecodragon Well Known Member Member

What are your tank numbers (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) are you doing water changes on the tank? Sometimes with kribs as with angels they take a few times to get their parenting right. Some eat their eggs others eat their fry.
    Are the fry healthy looking free swimming? You may have to take a magnifying glass to look at them. Fins okay, tail? They are fairly sensitive when young, and it can cause them to die while the adults are not affected. I had fry that died that I looked at and they had what I call pin tail (clamped fins) and couldn't swim and they died.
    When I had my kribs they bred quite frequently for a while and they had a few batches of fry that co-existed no fighting and no aggression but they also had other fish in the tank that picked off any that were not strong. so out of a batch of fry I would have 5-10 that would survive, the strongest and quickest and likely the healthiest. Good luck.

Also with the net breeder the mom/dad will try with all their might to get their fry back and likely will try to suck them through the netting. I don't know if kribs will but I had angels that I saved the fry the mom literally sucked them all out and they died so just be aware.

20. grantm91

Touchy touchy? I don't know what you are on about mate but good luck with your kribs and your 2 silver dollars in that 29g