Please HELP???!!! Its my first time....

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by pesjss, Dec 8, 2012.

1. pesjssNew MemberMember

So I’m pretty sure my guppy is close to dropping her fry but this is my first time with all this so I’m not sure??? She’s quite big round the belly (looks boxy) and she stopped swimming around a lot two days ago and was hiding a lot. I moved her into a breeder box because all of my other guppies kept finding her and bugging her. She won’t eat and hardly swims around the box. Is she dying or in labor???

2. guppygrl

guppygrlValued MemberMember

Sounds like labour to me. I'm fairly new but I know they won't eat much when close. Do you have a picture of her? The rear will really look boxy.... and her gravid spot will be very dark.

Good luck... it's exciting isn't it!

3. OP
    OP
    p

pesjssNew MemberMember

She does not have a 100% all black gravid spot but I researched it and because of her colors her gravid spot can stay orange and she still can be prego. We are VERY excited:). My two oldest kids keep looking at the tank to see if there’s fry.

4. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like you'll be having babies soon! Make sure to take the female out of the box after the babies are born, as some will eat their babies.

Make sure the water is clean!

5. OP
    OP
    p

pesjssNew MemberMember

Here are some picture of her...

Attached Files:

6. guppygrl

She's a very pretty fish!! My daughters love watching for babies! It causes them stress to put them in the breeder box so keep an eye on her. I'd think she'd drop soon.

Can't wait to hear about the new fry!

7. OP
    OP
    p

pesjssNew MemberMember

I can tell shes stressed but I'm afraid if I just let her in the main tank the others will bug her to death... :( Im sure it dont help she jumped out once and I had a male jump in the tank with her also. Idk how they did it...I dont have the tank to low or anything.

8. Gordinian

I don't have much experience with livebearers, but it looks like it could be a bit longer. Is there another tank you could put her in all by herself? If not the breeder box should be ok.

That's a very pretty fish! Keep in mind that with the breeder box you're using, the fry will fall through slits in the bottom to the main tank (even with the tray on the bottom, there are still gaps that they can always find)

Edit: if the fish are jumping in and out, you could try lowering the water level.

9. guppygrl

I don't use the breeder box anymore ... I let the mom stay in the tank and I rescue any fry that I can. Since I started... I bought a bunch of plants so they have spots to hide.

I think the sell guppy breeder boxes so the slits are a bit smaller.

10. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

well, i've watched alooot of guppies give birth including my friend's guppy and usually im about 80% of the time right when i predict that they are giving birth soon. Most of the time i'd put my guppy in the breeder box and usually not more than 2 days later they give birth, there have only been 2 instance when my guppy took longer than i predicted and they ended up giving birth many days after i thought they were.

Sooo im not 100% accurate but judging from the pics (didnt really get a clear view of the side), i'd say that its gonna be awhile more before she gives birth, i'd say 'maybe' a week, should not be more than 2 weeks.
    one thing i've noticed when guppy's are about to give birth is that you will notice that her 'opening' would get really really pointed, like super pointy o_O. And also the front part of her tummy would get quite square-ish, but not as pointy as the back. From the looks of your picture, she still looks quite curvy at the front, so maybe its not time yet.
    Then again, im just judging this from the pictures you've sent, i could be wrong :) so keep your eye out.

P.S none of my guppys ever lost their appetite when near labour or when giving birth, they'd just eat their babies the moment they come out =/. so i usually lose quite a number of frys xD

11. OP
    OP
    p

pesjssNew MemberMember

She still didnt eat much at all today. I could see eyes in her belly this morning :) Shes already been in the tank for two days now...should I keep her in it still or let her hide in the main tank? I'm just so worried the other fish are going to bug her to death. Ive had her and my other female for over 3 weeks now so they are both getting close to their time. My other female is now looking bigger and more square :( Im not sure what to do now. The one not in the tank is not getting bothered by the other fish as much and isnt hiding much. Every once in a while she hides to rest. What to do????.....

12. Gordinian

If you can see eyes now, I'd leave her in the box, she'll probably drop soon.

If you think the other female is looking ready too, you could either buy another breeders box/net, divide the one that you've already got, or maybe use a net (temporarily).

Good luck!

13. Bumblebat

BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

You can put some anacharis or hornwort or some other sort of floating plants. She'll feel more secure and the fry will have a place to hide and something to nibble on.

14. OP
    OP
    p

pesjssNew MemberMember

I let her back in the main tank all day and shes doing great now. The other fish are not going after her like they were before....its weird. Shes been swimming around and not hiding at all. I'm guessing shes just happy to be out of the box but its making me think shes not close :'( ......on the other hand I can now see 3+ eyes (YAY!!!) and her opening is slightly pointed.
    I'm SO excited to see these fry :D

Sadly I cant make it to a pet store for another 3 days :( I'm 45mins-1hour away and we dont have cash to make that trip just to get a plant

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012
  15. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

I completely understand. Buying aquarium stuff can get really expensive, on top of having to drive there.

When you're ready for plants, if you're interested, I'm sure there are many people here who can give you a good place online to buy some. No driving needed! :) Or maybe they have some to sell themselves.

Good luck! :)

16. OP
    OP
    p

pesjssNew MemberMember

Thank you Orion5! I will deff keep that in mind :D
    No fry yet btw :"( I put Casper (the female that I thought would have her fry 4 days ago) in the breeding box last night, just incase she would have them over night, and when I woke up this morning she was in the main tank ??? Guess she jumped out again. I dont want to put the box any lower casue she will hardly have any room to move. Guess she really does NOT want to be in that. The sad thing is now the males are going after her and Coraline (the other female...my kids named them) non-stop. I have been trying to keep a close eye on both of them for more signs of labor/birth and I will try to move them in the breeder tank as close to the time as I can.

17. OP
    OP
    p

pesjssNew MemberMember

DSC01360.JPGDSC01370.JPGDSC01374.1.JPGDSC01374.JPG
    Heres a few pictures of Casper and Coraline. You can see s few eyes in Caspers belly. Shes now back in the breeder box because she was shows signs of labor and now shes swimming head down, right to left in the tank...

18. Gordinian

What's the male/female ratio in this tank? If you don't have enough females per male, the females will be harassed, which sounds like what's happening.

19. OP
    OP
    p

pesjssNew MemberMember

as of now its 3males/2females. I had more females but we lost them while we were on vacation :( I'm planing on getting more prob tomorrow to make it better...

20. guppygrl

Things will settle down when the ratio is one male to three females.

How are the girls doing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice