Please Help! Itch!

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
can someone please give me advice? ive been having so many problems. first, i accidentally gave my betta fish amonnia burns i believe, his gills are pink and he was lathargic. once i figured this out i changed the water and he perked up. i planned on setting up a 10 gallon tank with a filter and other things they need because my 5 gallon tank was overcrowded and not properly set up. 2 mollies and a male crown tail betta. i noticed my black molly had some type of fungus growing on all his fins so i quarantined him. i then went to the store yesterday and bought a filter, new gravel, beneficial bacteria supplement by Top Fin, tap water conditioner/dechlorinater by API. i then set up the new tank with these things and put my infected black molly in, i then added a packet of fungus cure by API. i then realize that my betta and dalmation molly are rubbing theirselves on everything like crazy and acting strange, so i put them in there with the black molly. the dalmation then kept biting the poor black molly so i took some medicated water out and put him back in his quarantine. i now belive its itch. it looks like itch, and they have symptoms of it. so, how do i proceed to treat them?.. i already have API fungus cure in the water and they need another dose in 40 hours. should i halt that treatment? continue? treat both at same time? please help

Attachments

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mollies should not be with betta they need 20 gallons. The betta needs a heater hope you have that. As for ich I would use cupramine and take carbon out of the filter , for it will remove medication.

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
the carbon is removed because i have API fungus care in the water already. the lady at the store told me what fish to buy with the betta, and if he needs a heater ill go get him one today. ive been feeling pretty foolish for getting fish without any research, the 10 gallon is the most i can afford for the mollies.. will i be able to treat with cupramone and fungus care at same time?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would do this:

Put the betta in the 5 gal by himself. Get a heater and turn temp up to 86 F for 2 weeks. Do daily gravel vacs and water changes for two weeks. At the end of these two weeks, the ick should be gone.

Put all the mollies in the 10 gal. Get a heater and turn the temp up to 86 F for 2 weeks. Do daily gravel vacs and water changes for two weeks. At the end of these two weeks, the ick should be gone. Rehome the mollies after the ich is gone.

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i just went and bought the heater, but i dont have a gravel vaccume. will it go away without one of those?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You really need to vacuum the gravel daily to remove the ich that falls off the fish. You can get a cheap, small one from most pet stores.

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i returned the fish. when i counted how long i had them it was only 6 days. i believe i bought them sick. i made sure they were in good hands at the store, it was just too much for me.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's okay! If you want to start again, we can help you stock appropriately and help keep your fish healthy

Andy S

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can make a fairly reasonable gravel vacuum using just a length of hose and a plastic water bottle. It may not look as nice as the shop bought one but it works just as well. Plenty of YouTube videos showing how to make it.

babiimoore

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
That's okay! If you want to start again, we can help you stock appropriately and help keep your fish healthy
you seem very knowledgeable so if you could check out my new post on cycling id really appreciate it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom