Please Help!! Is This Hole In The Head Disease?!

1. ambizro Initiate Member

See pictures below.

I have a quick question as I have a slight concern about my fish and not sure whats the best thing to do at this point.

I first notice a tiny off white spot what must be a month ago or more. Took a picture June 26th and another one today. See below. Its the only 2 pictures I have that show it.

Early may was the first sign of this small faint spot.

I recently did a 5 day Epson salt treatment and followed by a 3 day NLS hex shield treatment (end of june) because of some weird poops he was having which is not an issue anymore.

This spot is looking more like a small hole now and not just a surface blemish. I am wondering if this is [possible the start of hith!? if it is how did it survive the epson salt and NLS treaments just a bit ago?

Another reason I don't think its hith or at least unsure is because of the shape of it. most things I read mention that they start off and symetrical small holes. This one is a wierd little shape. Also most things I read also talk about it blistering and opening up and getting worst fairly quick (days) but Kai's hasn't gotten worse at least not in that kind of time frame. Its been 2 months... confused [​IMG]

So what do I do now? Nothing, wait and see if it continues to grow or more show up? Another epson salt 5 day treatment? or another NLS hex shield treatment?

I do have small twigs and branches in the tank (they have since been removed), its also a possibility that he poked himself and that is what caused it but I can't be certain about anything.

I just feel a little sick to my stomach about all of this and hoping for some advice and thoughts.

I should add that he is eating very well and super active and shows great color ect ect.
    My tank maintenance and food choices are imo of very high quality. also a stress free environment.

Starting this week I have been doing daily 60-70% water changes and lightly cleaning small parts of the sand substrate each day.

Thanks in advance,

Attached Files:

2. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I literally cannot even see the hole you're talking about. Is that bad?

3. ambizro Initiate Member

I mean it's small, maybe tiny. But it's a tiny bit off center above the eyes in the middle of the head.

4. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

It doesn't look like HITH disease to me, he looks quite healthy and his color is very good. A nice fish!
    You may be right about the sticks, he could have hit up against one and this may be what you are seeing. The best thing is water changes, like you are doing. But, do keep a look out for any reddening around the area.
    Also, if the area begins to grow larger or you start to see more areas with pitting or erosion along the lateral line, then a treatment with metronidazole will be in order.
    Keep us posted.

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, doesn't look like HITH to me either.

6. ambizro Initiate Member

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear someone else think it's not hith.

I am very attached to my pet fish, he is one of the family and I do everything I can to provide an excellent life for him.

As far as other pits or redness, there hasn't been any of that at all. He poops are perfect too. He also is super active and aggressive at the glass aka glassbanger.

I plan to keep doing big daily water changes for at least 2 weeks and then start skipping to every other day for probably the next month to ensure the water is perfect.

I never let the poop sit on the bottom for longer than 24 hours.

I do have new life spectrum hex shield ready to go if I notice hith like symptoms poping up. The food contains metro and other things to help with hith.

I really hope this mark will disappear soon and I can relax.

I don't know if there is a situation where this could be hith but because he is still eating well and appears healthy, that the hith is not able to develope at a normal rate.

Maybe it's going to grow but really slowly over months? Is that possible?

Most threads I have seen regard fish with hith shows the pits getting worse almost daily if not weekly. Opening up much more and sinking in. Also redness and puss like stuff too. Also would his poops be bad and his appetite deminished?

I am really hoping it's not hith...

7. ambizro Initiate Member

One other thing. How would he start to develope hith anyways? Everything I have read is that the parasite can be within the fish and not be a problem. But if the fish is kept in poor conditions or with bad nutrition or stressful environment then the immune system is weakened and the parasite begins to become an issue.

In my case I always do weekly water changes if not 2 times a week. I also have a low bioload and lots of terrestrial plants absorbing nitrates. I feed high end fish food only, I have no other tank mates that cause stress or anything (he is kept with 10 small synodontis catfish which are harmless and he ignores completely).

So assuming it is hith, how or what would of caused the outbreak? I have had this fish since October 2016 with no issues at all and perfect development.

8. ambizro Initiate Member

Any other thoughts?

9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not sure we can say why or how the outbreak is caused if we don't think it is an outbreak of anything. If it is HITH then it was probably bad water conditions, but since you don't have that then I wouldn't be worried.