please help! innocent siamese fighter under attack!!!

Prasheen

Reaction score
I've got a siamese fighter and the other fish in the tank are nipping his fins! Does any of you have suggestions on any fish to keep with him that WON'T nip him??? he is a peaceful dude and seaks no trouble, any reply would be deeply appreciated. His companions are a swordtail male, 3 danios, 3 guppiez, 4 neons, 1 glowlight teta, 3 variatius platys and 3 scissor-tails

Thx

Prasheen

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good companions for bettas are otos and corycats.
Tom

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Although some bettas do fine in community tanks, it's usually just not meant to be.    How big is your tank?  Danios, tetras, and scissor tails are better when kept in schools.  However, I'm not suggesting that getting more of those fish will make it a peaceful environment for your betta.  I think your betta is just better off on his own...or with the fish Tom suggested, if you really want tankmates for him.

Muffymouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah like the other two said, Some bettas just don't do well with others (though it is not their fault that others pick on them). The two guys I have had are really relaxed and are doing well friends. My former one "Fishie" loved his friend a gimpy frog and my current one does great with his corycat buddies and guppy pals but I've seen other bettas that just don't do well with friends. There also may be a tank sized issue. How big is your tank? Is there any chance you could divide it and give your betta his own space? or perhaps give him his own home? A 5 gallon would do nicely for him and he wouldn't need to have any friends there.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
how much fin damage has your betta taken? is he still with the other fish? He might need something for his fins to prevent fin rot, like treating his water with novaqua+ and vitachem.

FishPirateL337

Valued Member
Reaction score
Please relocate your Betta to a well planted(live or plastic) 10 gallon tank with filter and heater.
Bettas do not need tank mates. Tank mates can stress your betta more than they should have to endure.
Never known a social betta. I think people place fighting fish into community tank just for the hope of seeing them fight.

Prasheen

Reaction score
Hey THANKS everyone!!! i had him in a 30 gallon tank with his "friends", and yesterday i "deported" him to a 10 gallon tank of his own, his much happier NOW. His fins aren't very bad, its jus about 2 or 3 millimeters short, i cant see any signs of fin-rot. ummm about dem corycats and ottos, whats da price of them? and will they do well in a 10 gallon tan?? If i put real plants in the tank will he eat them??

Thanks

Muffymouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't know about the price of otos but I paid about $3.50 each for my corycats. You will need at least 3 of them so that they can school together and be happy but they would be very happy in a 10 gallon tank with a betta =)) About the plants I don't know which ones would be good to have, but I know if they are well cared for live plants in a tank are awesome both to see and for the fish.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sounds like he could use some vitachem, just to help his healing along - they can get fin rot real easy and fast. but clean water and low stress is the most important thing, along with lots of attention.

Corys vary in price, i've seen them from $3 to $6 each depending on the species. Otos also vary but the ones we usually see at petco run a little under $2 each. They do like to be in groups of 3 or more, but can get by with at least 2 if necessary. Our otos and corys have never eaten any plants, even one that had algae on it - the otos just cleaned the algae off but didn't eat any of the plant.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom