Please Help If You Can

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by bopsalot, Apr 18, 2017.

1. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I've been investigating an unexplained fish death and I noticed something I have never noticed before. Very close inspection has revealed thousands of very very tiny somethings adhering to the inside of the glass on all sides. Invisible unless you are right up within a couple inches of the glass. They are round, whitish, translucent, and about 1/2mm in size. They wave gently in the current. They are everywhere. Not sure if this is a threat. Anyone know what they could be? They are far too small to photograph, unfortunately. Hopefully, this is just a strange-looking algae bloom, or a normal microflora/fauna, but I just don't know. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks I really don't want to lose any more juvenile angelfish!

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Is this a freshwater tank or a salt water tank? Duh...didn't read the part about the angelfish :)

Could they be copepods or hydra?

3. OP
    OP
    bopsalot

Sorry. 60 gallon freshwater. Parameters: 0,0,10-20. Ph 7.8 temperature 79 degrees F. Tank is cycled and has been running 2 1/2 months. I'll look up copepods and hydra, thanks!

4. OP
    OP
    bopsalot

No. As far as I can tell, they don't really look like little bugs, or hydra. They look like bubbles sort of, but they are certainly organic and fleshy.

5. APierce

is it slime starting maybe?

6. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Do you think its a bug?
    Look through these:

7. OP
    OP
    bopsalot

Thank you, but I don't think so.
    Thanks for the link! Nothing on that page matches, but I'll look through some of the other articles on that site.

I looked with a magnifying glass. They appear to be some kind of sac-like structure, anchored to the glass, soft and fleshy and almost transparent. Most or maybe even all look ruptured. Like a hatched snail egg. But I have no snails and there are thousands. Interestingly, they cannot be found on any other surfaces, such as plants, decorations, heater etc. Just on the glass. They wipe right off. The angels may be eating them, it's hard to say for sure. I'm trying to host a full-rez image of a photo I took. You can't really see them well in the photo, but can't hurt, right? Let me figure out how to post a link to it when I get it uploaded somewhere...

8. APierce

I'd be interested in trying to see what they look like! Are you sure they aren't snail eggs?

9. OP
    OP
    bopsalot

Lets see if this works. If it does, the "invaders" are the small gray spots visible against the top part of the rock decoration.

th_61760_IMG_0218_122_146lo.JPG

10. OP
    OP
    bopsalot

Lets see if this works. If it does, the "invaders" are the small gray spots visible against the top part of the rock decoration.

th_61760_IMG_0218_122_146lo.JPG

11. OP
    OP
    bopsalot

I have no idea why the thumbnail is not a link. Nor why it posted itself 3 times. Sorry all.

12. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

The image is too small (at least for me...), try uploading it to your fishlore gallery and then sending us a link to it.

13. APierce

Very blurry...are you sure they aren't baby snails....or those limpet things (just small ones)

14. OP
    OP
    bopsalot

Yeah, snail eggs are a very remote possibility. While there are no snails that I know of in the tank, a few weeks ago I squeezed some sponge filter media from my awesome LFS into a bag to seed my filters with beneficial bacteria. Cycled the tank very quickly. Conceivably, snail eggs could come from that. But this many? And that's only if there were snails in that tank. I'd think you would need adult snails in my tank to distribute thousands of eggs all over the place. And they're all hatched apparently, if they are eggs, so I'd be seeing snails somewhere by now, right? Thanks for all the suggestions everybody! I do appreciate your time and help.

15. Catfish12345

Catfish12345 Valued Member Member

Snails don't lay eggs like that. They lay them in clutches

16. Catfish12345

Catfish12345 Valued Member Member

Maybe copepods

17. OP
    OP
    bopsalot

Limpets. Looked them up on google images. Probably not. These things cannot move independently. I'm thinking eggs of some sort. Maybe the zebra danios spawned before I re-homed them? I have no clue what that would look like.

18. OP
    OP
    bopsalot

Copepods look like bugs, though. Nothing like that here. Hopefully it's just some harmless microzoa

19. APierce

How long ago did you rehome the zebras?

20. OP
    OP
    bopsalot

Roughly a week ago. Too many eggs for danio spawn, and they wouldn't be stuck to the sides. Well, thank you everyone for your insight. Looks like a mystery, my internet searches are not turning much up. The angelfish are snacking on these things whatever they are. Let's just hope it's not related to the fish death. The 3 remaining angels are by all appearances thriving. I'm going to scrape these sacs off and keep a close eye on things. Thanks again!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice