Please help identify

1. n

nipo New Member Member

who is this guy? a wildcard purchase at Petco...
    thanks a tonne,
    Nipo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Its an American Flagfish.

Welcome to the forum :)

3. OP
    OP
    n

nipo New Member Member

thanks a lot! Will he do Ok in my tank meaning is he a threat to my other fish? It's a community tank, tetras, killis, mollys, rainbow, beta...

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

They're mostly bottom dwellers from what I understand. Just don't overcrowd the tank floor and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

They are killifish and make excellent algae eaters. They stay small and should be fine with your stock. Wish I could find one around here. Very nice looking fish.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Yes, it's a flag fish, a killifish, not a cichlid. They are a top dweller in my experience, not a bottom dweller....

7. OP
    OP
    n

nipo New Member Member

yup, I got it for the looks. :)
    there was no proper tag under the tank, they thought it was a cichlid.
    some sites say they go after soft plants big time, i hope it's not the case cuz i got a heavily planted tank...

8. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

They (should) tend to stay near the bottom. It should be peaceful on its own, but they're definitely not peaceful when breeding is an option. Males wipe out other males, and sometimes other species...

9. OP
    OP
    n

nipo New Member Member

well, I ended making a "donation" to local Petco. This fish turned out to be a big time nipper plus voracious about plants... I got another flagship who is not as colorful but nice to other fish and plants.

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, yours was a male.... out of curiosity, what was the temp? They are more aggressive in warmer water. Your new one sounds like a female.