Please help identify this fish. Lamprologus.x

Frank the Fish guy

I have a pair of Lamprlogus fish. The two fish that are low, stay on the bottom in the video. They are in my Lake T. tank along with some Neo-Lamprologous Brachardi. I do know that the are Lamprologus, I just don't know which species.

Can anyone help me id this pair please?

1598911102056.png

Best Answer - View MacZ's answer

MacZ

Could be Lamprologus werneri from the Congo. Or something similar, there is a whole group, but I'm not tooo familiar with them. Definitely none of the Tanganyicans. They move like Steatocranus.

Frank the Fish guy

Werneri, hmm that might be it. They do seem to completely lack any hint of a humped head as in Steatocranus .

As you can see, the two get along well. Sometimes friendly chasing around, other times hanging out closely together. one seems to follow the other. I wonder if this is a bonded pair. Would love to make some baby fish.

chromedome52

I think it is closer to L. congoensis. There are a couple of other possibilities, and they are all grey with dark markings.

I would say they are still too young to breed.

Frank the Fish guy

Sometimes the vertical strips get very dark and pronounced. They look like different fish. Then other times the stripes are faded.

Frank the Fish guy

I was in contact with the breeder today, and they confirmed for me that this fish is

lamprologus werneri

The species is identified as threatened in the wild. I am hoping I have a breeding pair. So we'll see if I can make more and keep the Werneri party going!

They told me that this is a lake Tanganyican fish.

There seems to be different info regarding these guys home.

I have in in a Tanganyican tank. They seem happy there.

If anyone knows any more info I would appreciate it.

MacZ

Fishbase (Stating collection points close to the mouth of the river into the Atlantic Ocean) and some other sources say Congo River and I concurr, as the way they move is a clear indication of many species living in the rapids of the Congo River. If those were from Lake Tanganyika I'd be very surprised.

You should take a look at the description at Fishbase. If you feel it's enough, think about building a rapids biotope. They would need less hard water in that case.

Top Bottom