Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Zoso94

Zoso94

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It has a forked tail with 3 prongs and a dragonfly-like head and eyes and keeps wiggling the tail.

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is an issue if you have one. There can be hundreds in your tank. You may need to get a fish that will hunt these guys, otherwise they will cause damage to any shrimp of small fish you have in their, as they are predators. Maybe try to raise the temperature, I think they are sensetive towards that.

OP
Zoso94

Zoso94

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Man...thanks for the info...If anyone knows any good fish for eating them definitely let me know. I do have a bumblebee catfish in my tank. Maybe she would take care of them??

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If she's quite the substrate digger, she should dispatch them easily. Dragonfly nymphs can get up to about 6cm, so its also a good idea to think about removing any shrimp or fry you may have while you catfish dispatches them. Maybe do a water change and a gravel vacuuming as well.

OP
Zoso94

Zoso94

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you I will do a vacuuming today although im not seeing anymore of them so i don't think there could be many...i'm still worried about my shrimp as it's one of my favorite things in my tank but all i have is an empty 10 gallon that's not cycled at the moment...

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd just vacuum and keep and eye on your tank.
Maybe even check the decor to see if there is any other hiding.
If you see anymore, just remove them.
Other people have had just one, so you could be a lucky winner of just one, but don't let your guard down.
You should be good.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not a Dragonfly nymph, it is a Mayfly nymph. Does not get as big, and eats primarily detritus and algae, unlike the predatory Dragonfly larva. The three filaments identify it as Mayfly, according to the Dragonfly Lady. Follow that link to an explanation of the difference between the two.

And you are not going to have "hundreds" show up in your aquarium. It is uncommon to see even one. They usually come in on plants, or with wild collected live foods such as Daphnia. Large fish do like to eat them, they are often used as Trout bait, and artificial trout lures are made to resemble them, among other insect larvae.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Have you been sterilizing your plants?
I always do a bleach dip to kill any hitchhikers.

Not a Dragonfly nymph, it is a Mayfly nymph. Does not get as big, and eats primarily detritus and algae, unlike the predatory Dragonfly larva. The three filaments identify it as Mayfly, according to the Dragonfly Lady. Follow that link to an explanation of the difference between the two.

And you are not going to have "hundreds" show up in your aquarium. It is uncommon to see even one. They usually come in on plants, or with wild collected live foods such as Daphnia. Large fish do like to eat them, they are often used as Trout bait, and artificial trout lures are made to resemble them, among other insect larvae.
Thanks for the info.
Very informative.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Zoso94

Zoso94

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unfortunately i made the rookie mistake of not doing a bleach wash and am currently also dealing with about 20 pond snails...Since posting this i did find another one which was darker in color. Very relieved that they are just Mayfly nymphs. Must've come on the hornwort i just got online.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hornwort is one of those plants that is often grown in outside vats or pools. Likely that is where they came from. Pond snails are a much bigger problem than the mayfly larvae!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
These guys are neat to see into adulthood, I grew several from pond raised plants I bought. One was a nice green adult once it got its wings and was about 2-3 inches long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom