Please Help Identify This Creature

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Zoso94, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Zoso94New MemberMember

Is this a baby shrimp?? I do have what petco called an amano shrimp in my tank...anybody know what this is???

Attached Files:

2. Zoso94New MemberMember

It has a forked tail with 3 prongs and a dragonfly-like head and eyes and keeps wiggling the tail.

3. JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

It's a dragonfly nymph.
    I have read they can kill fish/shrimp.
    I'd remove it asap.

4. Zoso94New MemberMember

Thank you!!!!!!

5. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

This is an issue if you have one. There can be hundreds in your tank. You may need to get a fish that will hunt these guys, otherwise they will cause damage to any shrimp of small fish you have in their, as they are predators. Maybe try to raise the temperature, I think they are sensetive towards that.

6. Zoso94New MemberMember

Man...thanks for the info...If anyone knows any good fish for eating them definitely let me know. I do have a bumblebee catfish in my tank. Maybe she would take care of them??

7. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

If she's quite the substrate digger, she should dispatch them easily. Dragonfly nymphs can get up to about 6cm, so its also a good idea to think about removing any shrimp or fry you may have while you catfish dispatches them. Maybe do a water change and a gravel vacuuming as well.

8. Zoso94New MemberMember

Thank you I will do a vacuuming today although im not seeing anymore of them so i don't think there could be many...i'm still worried about my shrimp as it's one of my favorite things in my tank but all i have is an empty 10 gallon that's not cycled at the moment...

9. JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

I'd just vacuum and keep and eye on your tank.
    Maybe even check the decor to see if there is any other hiding.
    If you see anymore, just remove them.
    Other people have had just one, so you could be a lucky winner of just one, but don't let your guard down.
    You should be good.

10. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Not a Dragonfly nymph, it is a Mayfly nymph. Does not get as big, and eats primarily detritus and algae, unlike the predatory Dragonfly larva. The three filaments identify it as Mayfly, according to the  . Follow that link to an explanation of the difference between the two.

And you are not going to have "hundreds" show up in your aquarium. It is uncommon to see even one. They usually come in on plants, or with wild collected live foods such as Daphnia. Large fish do like to eat them, they are often used as Trout bait, and artificial trout lures are made to resemble them, among other insect larvae.

11. JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

Have you been sterilizing your plants?
    I always do a bleach dip to kill any hitchhikers.

Thanks for the info.
    Very informative.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  12. Zoso94New MemberMember

Unfortunately i made the rookie mistake of not doing a bleach wash and am currently also dealing with about 20 pond snails...Since posting this i did find another one which was darker in color. Very relieved that they are just Mayfly nymphs. Must've come on the hornwort i just got online.

13. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Hornwort is one of those plants that is often grown in outside vats or pools. Likely that is where they came from. Pond snails are a much bigger problem than the mayfly larvae!

14. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Sorry for the misinformation there. In our defense they do look a little similar though.

15. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

These guys are neat to see into adulthood, I grew several from pond raised plants I bought. One was a nice green adult once it got its wings and was about 2-3 inches long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice