Please help identify these snails!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzarr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I noticed one of these snails in my tank a month ago and since then there are now about 8-10. I have gotten new plants so I'm not sure if they are babies from my mystery snails (doubt it) or just free-loaders coming in from my real plants. I don't want an infestation and I don't want my plants eaten either.

Does anyone have any idea on what type of snails they are and what they do? Sorry it's hard to see the pics.

Attachments

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah those are pond snails, same problem I have in my 10 gallon. A YoYo Loach will do the trick, I have to find an alternative though because yoyo's get too big for my 10.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ewwwww, crushing them? aww, that's mean.
I keep a few because my sister likes them lol. But other then that I'm hopeing to turn them into a little treat for my fish. And maybe Eli will nom them seeing he doesnt have taste for guppies . No worse then raising a chicken then eatting it...no I dont live on a farm....

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay! Thanks! What types of benefits do they have?
Well, they're so small that they can reach tiny bits (by tiny I mean almost un-seeable) of food that falls inside of the cracks in gravel and stuff. Since water current cannot reach them, they slowly decompose and become "toxic pockets" of ammonia. The snails eat the food before anything bad can happen.

OP
G

gzarr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, they sound like they have some benefits. However, my 4 y.o. daughter decided to dump about an 1/8 cup of food into the tank when I wasn't looking. Ugghh! My first thought was 'snail outbreak.' I immediately vaccuumed as much as I could and didn't feed the fish for a couple days. I have thrown about 10 or so of these snails away as I have noticed (prior to the food dump) the population expanding. I'm just not sure how many are too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 42 64.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 18.5%

Top Bottom