Please help identify these snails!

Discussion in 'Snails' started by gzarr, Apr 18, 2010.

1. gzarrValued MemberMember

I noticed one of these snails in my tank a month ago and since then there are now about 8-10. I have gotten new plants so I'm not sure if they are babies from my mystery snails (doubt it) or just free-loaders coming in from my real plants. I don't want an infestation and I don't want my plants eaten either.

Does anyone have any idea on what type of snails they are and what they do? Sorry it's hard to see the pics.

Attached Files:

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Looks like pond snails.
    Carol

3. rainmanWell Known MemberMember

Ditto

4. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Agreed.
    Ken

5. chillyNew MemberMember

yep i had loads of them in my tank..took ages to get them clear but i bought some clown loach it sure did the trick yipee..

6. TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

Yeah those are pond snails, same problem I have in my 10 gallon. A YoYo Loach will do the trick, I have to find an alternative though because yoyo's get too big for my 10.

7. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Yep, pond snails. I highly doubt that they will hurt your plants, and as long as you don't overfeed your fish, they'll be nicely beneficial in your tank.

8. gzarrValued MemberMember

Okay! Thanks! What types of benefits do they have?

9. TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

Well, they are good for learning to count to 1000... :)

10. gzarrValued MemberMember

Hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!:;laughing

Way too funny! Unfortunately you're probably right!

11. TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

Yeah if they have a food source they are prolific little buggers.

12. rainmanWell Known MemberMember

When crushed and fed to your fish, they're a healthy high protein/calcium dietary supplement.

13. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Thats what I'm raising snails for, I just hope my fish like them lol.

14. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

ewwwww, crushing them? aww, that's mean. :(

15. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I keep a few because my sister likes them lol. But other then that I'm hopeing to turn them into a little treat for my fish. And maybe Eli will nom them seeing he doesnt have taste for guppies :;laughing. No worse then raising a chicken then eatting it...no I dont live on a farm....

16. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

You crayfish will eat what snails it can get to. If you put in MTS, it will comb through the substrate lookiong for them.

17. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

oh he doesn't want to eat guppies huh. so maybe he will like snails......he crushes them or you crush. lol, i'm such a thread hijacker! :oops:

18. RegalWell Known MemberMember

When I drop them in my Puffer tank they make a cool crunch sound :;laughing

19. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Well, they're so small that they can reach tiny bits (by tiny I mean almost un-seeable) of food that falls inside of the cracks in gravel and stuff. Since water current cannot reach them, they slowly decompose and become "toxic pockets" of ammonia. The snails eat the food before anything bad can happen.

20. gzarrValued MemberMember

Well, they sound like they have some benefits. However, my 4 y.o. daughter decided to dump about an 1/8 cup of food into the tank when I wasn't looking. Ugghh! My first thought was 'snail outbreak.' I immediately vaccuumed as much as I could and didn't feed the fish for a couple days. I have thrown about 10 or so of these snails away as I have noticed (prior to the food dump) the population expanding. I'm just not sure how many are too many?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice