Please Help Identify Parasite looking glob thing

• Thread starter GeekinOnFish
  • Start date

GeekinOnFish

Greetings all,

Yesterday morning I noticed my tank has some ick....... ICK!!
I have a 15 gallon planted tank with 2 Female Betta (they get along great!), 4 Neon Tetras, 1 Panda Cory, 3 African Dwarf Frogs, and 3 Mystery Snails.
As soon as I identified the ick, I turned off the lights, slowly increased the heat (it has been holding a steady 86 degrees F). I added 3 tablespoons of aquarium salt, and a half a dose of ick x (trying to minimize salt and ick x because of the plants, frogs, and snails).

I have been monitoring the aquarium closely, and I found something very strange in my filter intake....
MVIMG_20200319_140417.jpg
(also attached image)

I have never seen anything like this in a tank before, and I am really concerned what it is.

I have read that dwarf frogs shed skin, but have never seen it in my tank before. Could this be frog skin, and if so, should I be concerned?

Or is it something far more nasty, like a parasite???

Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

saltwater60

Well Known
Dead plant leave?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
It doesn't look like worm. I agree with saltwater60. A leaf or stem possibly? Is it slimy?

GeekinOnFish

Thank you so far,

Yes it was slimy, and I do not have any plants with leafs anywhere near that size. slimy and translucent. I did put it in a cup of water (disposable cup lol), with efforts of determining if it would "unravel" and determine if it was frog skin, but it stayed in that wormish form.

Do snails carry parasites in their shells? I have one very large mystery snail in there. The only reason I keep going back to parasite, is because of the half dose of ick x and salt (both new to my tank, and both are known to kill parasites).

Thanks again thus far!

GeekinOnFish

Update,

I just found a video of an African Dwarf Frog shedding its skin, and it was the exact same color and even length of the UFO (Unidentified Floating Object). The frog ate the skin the moment it had it pealed off, and that is a very common thing (explains why I have never found frog skin in my tank before).

Looks like we can mark this as solved.
Hopefully it helps someone in the community!

Top Bottom