Please Help Id

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CCF70A0B-676A-4CDE-9593-22629176D02C.jpeg
04DD3D15-663B-491A-95E9-5B90B6420310.jpeg
So I thought this guy/gal was an auratus but after a little research, I’m leaning away from auratus but don’t know what it could be. Plz help. Notice he has no white stripes like an auratus will have throughout their life cycle. Nor is he yellow at all like other juvenile auratus cichlids. (scratching my head)

Guppypuppy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Definitely a Cichlid. Can't remember which, SA or African. But I have one of him, full grown in my tank! Careful pairing cichlids, as they are very aggressive and territorial, even with their own.

Attaching photo of mine. He grew to about 4" and had a bit of change in coloration. His brother looked a lot more like yours, blue with only two black stripes.

Attachments

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppypuppy said:
Definitely a Cichlid. Can't remember which, SA or African. But I have one of him, full grown in my tank! Careful pairing cichlids, as they are very aggressive and territorial, even with their own.

Attaching photo of mine. He grew to about 4" and had a bit of change in coloration. His brother looked a lot more like yours, blue with only two black stripes.
He’s an African just don’t know for sure what kind

Guppypuppy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ah, didn't realize, my bad. Scratch the link, he does have a horizontal marking. I know I have had this exact Cichlid before, looking for the names. Thought I had it and posted a bad link. Will keep checking.

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppypuppy said:
Ah, didn't realize, my bad. Scratch the link, he does have a horizontal marking. I know I have had this exact Cichlid before, looking for the names. Thought I had it and posted a bad link. Will keep checking.
Yeah I’m stumped

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppypuppy said:
I am leaning towards Melanochromis Johanni. Fin and face wise. As for markings, I feel it fits melanochromis in general but could be a few.

melanochromis johanni - Google Search
After looking at that link I’m almost positive you’re right. I hope if he is a Johanni, he has has no issue with my demasoni because of the similarities in color

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is not a Johannii, though it does resemble that complex of species. But there are a lot of hybrids within the group, and this appears to be yet another (@Guppypuppy , yours also appears to be a hybrid). BTW, these species were moved back to the Genus Pseudotropheus because they do not meet the criteria for Melanochromis. The three species most commonly involved in hybrids are cyaneorhabdos, interruptus, and johannii. Females of the first are colored like the males, the other two have females that are solid yellow-orange in color. When they are crossed, the offspring rarely get the deep colors of pure species.

In general, the Johanni complex species are moderately aggressive for an Mbuna, but not usually as aggressive as Melanochromis species.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The elongate body with two horizontal lines on the sides, plus the overall blue tint to the fish, are usually seen on the Johannii complex species subdominant males or cyaneorhabdos females. Hybrids rarely gain the dark black color of dominant males of these species.

Originally, Maingano was a common name for cyaneorhabdos, but it has been applied to hybrids between this and johannii. The third species, interruptus, does not have just horizontal lines, but also some vertical markings. Dominant males are almost completely black with a row of what look like blue dots down the side, which is actually the blue stripe being broken up by their vertical barring. These have also been hybridized with cyaneorhabdos, and the hybrids are usually identifiable because they do not have the solid yellow females of pure interruptus.

Finding pure specimens of any of these species requires going to certain online sellers with the reputation for selling pure fish. Personally I only know of one, but I'm not "connected" all that well with African Cichlid keepers/breeders. It's possible there are others. I just wouldn't trust any online seller that peddles aquarium fish in general.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom