Please Help Id This Disease

1. LongIslandFishGuy Member Member

These are wild fish that were caught in Florida. They are currently being quarantined in my 29 gallon. The new fish in my tank have also brought ich in. I'm currently treating with salt and heat. The temperature has been at 88 for 2 days and has been dropped to 86. I think I over did the salt at first.

My RTS, that had no ich spots, started acting weird so I took him out, put him in a 1.5 breed box with a bubbler. He started looking better and I did some water changes on the quarantine with ich, so I added him back. He just died and now these minnows look like this.

What could this be? I've never come across anything like this before. My Gudgeon is also acting weird but looks physically healthy.

Attached Files:

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Columnaris?

3. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I agree. Looks like columnaris to me too.

4. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Whatever it is, stop moving fish in and out. You won't get it under control if you keep giving it hosts to move around on. Keep all exposed fish in the same tank for the duration of treatment.

Maybe I'm just blind - I am pretty blind - and also not sure what these fish are supposed to look like, but ich seems likely. I don't see any particular symptoms of columnaris unless those are whitish patches on the top side of the fish in first photo. It looks like the fish in second photo are experiencing some loss of the slime coat maybe?

Edit: if others say columnaris I'd go with it. In that case DEFINITELY do not move any fish around, get kanaplex and metroplex asap and do a round or two. I lost an entire school of cories to columnaris before I even figured it out... good luck.

Do we know the species of fish, anyway?

5. LongIslandFishGuy Member Member

The only reason why I don't think it's columnaris is because it's not growth, the scales are like ripped off. They are the only fish effected an they got like this over the course of a few hours.

6. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Columnaris can take hold that fast. Columnaris causes it to appear flaky like that.

7. LongIslandFishGuy Member Member

How would I have gotten this? Just the addition of the new fish?

I have ich and w.e this is..... What do I do?