Please help! I want to cry!!

1. Wrtbrgr87 Member Member

I can't seem to keep any fish for long. I started this tank in November and I had a king betta in it and then the problems started when I added the 4 emerald green cats. My betta wouldn't let them eat and whenever he came by all the cats would quickly run away and then the betta would like at me, then proceed to peck at the hikari sinking wafer til it was all gone. Sometimes it seemed like he'd swallow it whole! Thus, my cories weren't able to eat . Well tonight the betta finally ate himself to death. His stomach was so bloated that toward the end he was vomiting up the food uncontrollably. Why didn't he just stop eating??? I have a 20 gallon and I don't want to just have a betta in it and no small fish interest me. I have my heart set on the cories and a king betta, what should I do? Why won't he let the other fish eat? The cories share with each other easily. Please help. Im planning on getting another betta tomorrow so how can i prevent the same from happening again? Thanks for your help!!! I just feel like right now...

:animal0068:Hello. I have edited your post for foul language. Please refer to your fish forum rules!
    Ken

2. beyzagorkemli Member Member

Maybe you can use some dividers.

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Betta Fish Care Guide
    Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore. The above link may be of great help to you.

Too here is a link to the Nitrogen Cycle: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle this information is crucial to fish keeping. Check it out and if and when you have questions by all means ask. We're here to help when we can! :)
    Best wishes!
    Ken

4. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Bettas are better kept alone or in a divided tank, you could divide it and get more bettas or give the betta you have his own divided section and add cories to the other section

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore :)
    I'm really sorry about your fish. As you found out most bettas don't do well with other fish. Not only because of aggression issues, but they'll eat food not meant for them and get ill. Betta are little piggys and don't know what to stop.
    Read the link Aquarist provided. If you'd still like a betta I'd suggest keeping it by its self in a 5g tank .
    That would leave your 20g for some cories and maybe a nice school of teteras.

Best of luck.

6. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :;hi2

Great info and advice above. Hope everything gets better and some pics of your king betta. Best of luck! :;hf

7. jana Member Member

Don't worry everything 'll get alrite soon. Those link's were very helpful. Good luck!

8. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

I would think about getting your betta his own container. They really are loners and when it comes to food they can be pigs! Maybe he kept eating the food purely for the competition of getting it off the other fish. They can be livewires in this way. I would suggest keeping school fish only in your big tank and getting something smaller for the betta. They are just happier with their own little world. :)