Please Help! I Think One Of My Guppies Has A Parasite! (new Evidence That He Has A Parasite) Important

1. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

His name is Tobias. He has a long black-and-brown thing hanging from the middle of him. The hanging thing isn't the same thickness in all parts. Tobias has been swimming slowly for a few days, but I didn't think anything of it for the first two and a half days or so because I had just transferred my fish to a new, bigger tank, and I didn't know the parameters in the new tank would be different from my old tank even though I used the same filter and media and the filter was built for the bigger tank's size and this caused all of them to swim slowly. But the other two fish starting swimming at close to a normal pace again yesterday and Tobias didn't. Now the other fish are swimming pretty normally and he's not. And he's having trouble swimming against the current of the air stone. I'll try to get a pic of him.

I don't think I can get him medication tonight, but please tell me about any medication he needs and I'll get it tonight, if I can. What should I do to help him?

Edit: now that I got a pic and I zoomed in on it, the hanging thing has some white, too. And the end of it broke off.

Second edit: He's also been sometimes moving some or a lot, but staying in place. Shaking his fins or the main part of his body some or a lot, while not going from one part of the tank to another.

93a81e467287fa0b3188b33b21023299.png

2. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Looks like a big ol' number 2 to me. They shake to break it free.

3. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Its just poop.

4. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

But then why the swimming slowly for more time? Constipation, maybe? If so, how can I make it so he doesn't have to suffer for days each time he needs to poop lol?

5. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

There are many factors that could cause that. The poop isnt one of them. Appart from feeding him a pea and giving him a good quality food as a staple that wont constipate them you cant do much else if he is constipated.

6. Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Guppies hang when they poop somtimes

7. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

Could everyone please recommend a food? Unfortunately, I have to do flakes or pellets (I can't ask my mom to allow whole dead animals like brine shrimp or worms in her house lol, no matter how small they are), but I can also do peas or seaweed. Just let me know which kinds of peas are safe, please.

8. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I make my own fish food and that is what I would recommend. Green peas are safe for fish. I have fed them countless of times.

9. Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Just take a pea out of a can and deshell it and sqeeze the green part into the tank, with a water change later.
    Angelsplus.com has a spirulina flake for 5 dollars.

10. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

Is the recipe you use good for adult male guppies? If so, may I please have the recipe?

11. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

No recipe really, you create the mix yourself. I used to feed my Mollys a mix of Tilapia, peas, carrots and garlic. You can add other stuff like spirulina and bird vitamins. Basically it is the same stuff as fishfood with the only difference that there is no stuff like wheat, corn etc...

12. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

I think I'll use the frozen ones, just because there's a store near me where I can get them with nothing added (no preservatives or liquid or anything, just peas) and I don't know if any of the stores here have that option for their canned peas. lol I'm bad about paying attention to the ingredients of the food I eat.

13. scarface Well Known Member Member

Have you tried Hikari Fancy Guppy?

14. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

I'll research it. Thanks!

15. Biev Member Member

I second the recommendation for Hikari Fancy Guppy. Good ingredients, decent price, doesn't cloud the water, guppies do well on it. I feed it to other small fish as well.

16. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

Do I cook the ingredients or no? 'Cause I know they're not cooked in the wild lol. And I think I will look up which types of fish guppies eat in the wild and if I choose to start making my own fish food, use one of those types.

He still has it hanging from him as of a few hours ago (that's the last time I was home). Still probably just poop or no?

17. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

Something's sticking out of the side of him now and and he has some redness and there's still a bit of the original thing sticking out of the bottom. I'm so worried about him. Please help.

Edit: I looked close again and his belly seems a lot bigger than usual. Before, I guess I was so concerned with the things sticking out that I didn't notice his increased belly size.

A pic of Tobias: 6b263b48560c94baa9375132754e168d.jpg

I'm not sure what to do, but I would be so sad if I were to wake up tomorrow to find that he's passed away or infected my other fish or that one of them has passed away. I would transfer him to a new tank so he couldn't infect the others, but I'm worried that doing that would stress all of them and make things worse. I'm crying a little.

I tried researching it to find out what to do, but all I could figure out is that it seems like a nematode or more than one. But I didn't know for sure, so I still don't know what to do to treat this.

18. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

UPDATE: After I put a Tetra Parasite Guard tablet in the tank last night, Tobias's stomach is getting smaller, and his red spot has been healing for a few days! His gills are redder than usual, but he's active and seems happy, and I'm exhausted lol, so I'm gonna test the water tomorrow. Yay for healthy fish!

19. Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry but an external ick med is not gonna cure any Internal problem like a worm.

20. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

It's not an external ick med.

Parasite Guard Tablets