Please Help!! i think my RCS are DYING!!

1. N

Nieveso New Member Member

SANY0112.jpg Ok yesterday i brought my first ever batch of red crystal shrimp but today they wont eat my flake food and they mostly MOSTLY not alll of them but they mostly sit in a pile on top of eachouther my mum came over to my house to see them but they were hardly mooving and my mum said mabye they are mating but i said mum i dont think its an orgy but then again one did shed its skin. anyway im really worried here are some pics SANY0135.jpg SANY0134.jpg SANY0122.jpg SANY0113.jpg The last 2 pictures are just some really nice shots i got so can you please help me resolve both problems
    btw BATMAN:;batman FTW!!!

2. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

How long has your tank been up and running? Do the shrimp have hiding spots? What's the temp of the water?

3. OP
    OP
    N

I live in australia my tank tem is a consistant 24 degrees celcis without a heter like a boss "yes it is very hot in my room" the tank has been running for 3 days and they have a few hiding spots not many. but i cant be stuffed doing the nitrogen cycle in my 4 years i never have done it.

Wait so is this a problem or is this normal???

4. psalm18.2

24C isn't bad. You don't cycle your tanks? Do you test the ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate levels? What size tank is this? Answering the questions helps us figure out answers.

5. OP
    OP
    N

30L tank im not sure in gallons nope dont cycle never test its never been a problem for me all my fish are good quality and healthy look ill put in a pic of this tank soon i just moved 2 of my guppys in this morning

6. psalm18.2

In the photo one of the shrimp is "saddled" which tells the male she wants to mate. One of the shrimp molted, right? The huddle could of been the other shrimp eating the shell. Shrimp need hide outs such as plants, caves, or decorations. When they molt they have to hide to protect themselves from light etc. I'd try a water change using a dechlorinator and see if that helps.

7. OP
    OP
    N

ok i will and one is allredy berried too and can i ask you somthing completly off topic?? about goldfish??

8. psalm18.2

You will get better answers if you start another thread about goldfish.

9. OP
    OP
    N

ok :D hopefully i will c u there cause u seem to know alot about shrimp so why not about goldfish breeding so imma go start one now

10. psalm18.2

Thanks. I have owned shrimp for over a year. Love them. I have a ghost shrimp only tanknow. Had RCS, but a heater malfunction killed them.

11. OP
    OP
    N

OUCH sorry about that good luck with your ghost shrimp now and :;batmanBATMAN FTW!!!!!!!!!!

12. psalm18.2

Thank you.

13. OP
    OP
    N

Meow

14. OP
    OP
    N

They haven't eaten in 3days at all but none are dead they just keep molting over and over again why to both questions????

15. t

tress29 Valued Member Member

They may be eating when you aren't watching them. Also, I've read that shrimp any crays often molt when introduced to a new tank. Don't know if it's the stress that triggers it. If they are eating the molts, maybe they aren't hungry for other food yet?