Please help! I think my fish have camallanus!

calypso515

Hello, I got some new tiger barbs to add to my school and they slowly just keep dying. They are in a 10 gallon quarantine tank. They all seem totally fine and healthy and then they start to hide in one spot, breath heavy, get super skinny, stop eating, and then die. I have tried IAL and API general cure with no avail. I tried to add garlic to the food yesterday and my sickest wouldn't even eat that. I do not have access to levamisole, so I was going to dose with fenbendazole.

Should I buy the safe-guard fenbendazole and put it in the water as my fish will not eat? Or should I buy the flakes from Peabody's and try to get him to eat? How do I get the right dose for the water or the food method?
I have been distraught by all of these fish getting sick and I really want to help them. I also think I may have accidently contaminated my main tank by using the same siphon/net. Should I dose them as well? And would you recommend the water or food dosing for them?
TIA

Tigerburp

Hello, I got some new tiger barbs to add to my school and they slowly just keep dying. They are in a 10 gallon quarantine tank. They all seem totally fine and healthy and then they start to hide in one spot, breath heavy, get super skinny, stop eating, and then die. I have tried IAL and API general cure with no avail. I tried to add garlic to the food yesterday and my sickest wouldn't even eat that. I do not have access to levamisole, so I was going to dose with fenbendazole.

Should I buy the safe-guard fenbendazole and put it in the water as my fish will not eat? Or should I buy the flakes from Peabody's and try to get him to eat? How do I get the right dose for the water or the food method?
I have been distraught by all of these fish getting sick and I really want to help them. I also think I may have accidently contaminated my main tank by using the same siphon/net. Should I dose them as well? And would you recommend the water or food dosing for them?
TIA
How many tiger barbs and could you share a picture of the tank as well as your water parameters?

calypso515

How many tiger barbs and could you share a picture of the tank as well as your water parameters?
Thank you for your assistance. I added a picture of the sick fish.
I have 3 barbs in a 10g quarantine tank. 2 of them seem okay for now, 1 is very sick.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0.25
Cl: 0
80 degrees F

I did buy the fenbendazole. I have the safe-guard coming tomorrow and the flakes coming on Friday. I don't know how to dose the safeguard though but I REALLY want to save these fish.

Attachments

• Grape.JPG
    Grape.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 10

Lucy

Hi welcome to FishLore!

I'm so sorry your fish aren't well. :( Camallanus isawful.

You haven't mentioned seeing worms protruding from the fish. Are you sure that's what it is?
The picture isn't clear. There appears to be a problem with the gill on the fish?

Here are a couple of threads with some very good info from members with first hand experience.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...o-get-rid-of-camallanus-nematode-worms.41023/

Is Peadbody's still selling medicated food? Thought he got out of the business.

Good luck!

mimo91088

I'm with Lucy . Are you positive you're dealing with camallanus?

calypso515

I'm with Lucy . Are you positive you're dealing with camallanus?
Hello, thank you for your assistance. I have not seen any worms protruding but I assumed that was because the barbs are young and very small (all under an inch). The gills do not have any physical problems that I can seen, he is just breathing very, very rapidly. I got the flakes on Amazon.

Tigerburp

Thank you for your assistance. I added a picture of the sick fish.
I have 3 barbs in a 10g quarantine tank. 2 of them seem okay for now, 1 is very sick.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0.25
Cl: 0
80 degrees F

I did buy the fenbendazole. I have the safe-guard coming tomorrow and the flakes coming on Friday. I don't know how to dose the safeguard though but I REALLY want to save these fish.
Oh a rosy tiger barb, and he looks a little thin too , personally I think I might be something else

calypso515

Oh a rosy tiger barb, and he looks a little thin too , personally I think I might be something else
Hello, I am not sure what a rosy tiger barb is. He is a glo tiger barb. I am open to other diagnoses, his symptoms just fit camallanus very well. What do you think it could be?

Tigerburp

Hello, I am not sure what a rosy tiger barb is. He is a glo tiger barb. I am open to other diagnoses, his symptoms just fit camallanus very well. What do you think it could be?
It’s a little bit of a tough one ,have you tried using garlic to get him to eat?

mimo91088

Are you in the US? I'd try prazipro if it's available where you live.

calypso515

Are you in the US? I'd try prazipro if it's available where you live.
It’s a little bit of a tough one ,have you tried using garlic to get him to eat?
Well friends, we lost another trooper today... what do I do now...? Do I still return him and get another from there? The 2 left look healthy... but so did all the rest for a bit before they sank 1 by 1... anyone have an idea as to what is happening?? I'm heartbroken and defeated...

Attachments

• 20210929_103350.jpg
    20210929_103350.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 5

calypso515

Last night I did another dose of api general cure. This is poop from 1 of the fishes today (all same fish all today). Any ideas? I really want these ones to make it. Thank you all for your help!

Attachments

• 20210929_211041.jpg
    20210929_211041.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210929_211047.jpg
    20210929_211047.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 3

MoshJosh

Well friends, we lost another trooper today... what do I do now...? Do I still return him and get another from there? The 2 left look healthy... but so did all the rest for a bit before they sank 1 by 1... anyone have an idea as to what is happening?? I'm heartbroken and defeated...
I am not an expert on these worms, and certainty without seeing them coming out of the fish it is hard to diagnose.

That said if it is camallanus Prazipro (praziquantel) wont work. Praziquantel is that de-wormer in API general FYI.

From what I have read Lavamasol (Frtz Expel-P) or fenbendazol (panacur-C for dogs is the best I could find) are probably your best bed.

If fish aren't eating you only option is treating the water.

Again I am not an expert so hopefully more people can chime in. Also, sorry if I spelled any medication names wrong. . .

calypso515

I am not an expert on these worms, and certainty without seeing them coming out of the fish it is hard to diagnose.

That said if it is camallanus Prazipro (praziquantel) wont work. Praziquantel is that de-wormer in API general FYI.

From what I have read Lavamasol (Frtz Expel-P) or fenbendazol (panacur-C for dogs is the best I could find) are probably your best bed.

If fish aren't eating you only option is treating the water.

Again I am not an expert so hopefully more people can chime in. Also, sorry if I spelled any medication names wrong. . .
Thank you for the reply. I have bought fenbendazole. The fish I had that was sick died this morning, the 2 I have left currently look healthy and well but all of my fish did and it hits each of them instantly. These two are currently eating so I am trying to kick whatever it is in the butt while they are still eating so that I don't have any further problems. This is the first time that I have seen the fish poop in days... Hopefully, someone will be able to identify what is going on by the picture of the dead fish, the symptoms, and the poop. I'm just at a loss here trying to do the best that I can to help these poor guys! Unsure if I should give these 2 the fenben or if it is something else going on.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
newclassic1
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
PlanetRock

Random Great Thread

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore
Top Bottom