Please help-heat treatment

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Marinedude17422, Jul 23, 2015.

1. M

Marinedude17422 New Member Member

We accidentally brought back bedbugs from a hotel for a wedding in the middle of nowhere, and now our house is getting heat treated so the house will get to around 125 degrees! What do I do with my fishies??? I don't want them to get fried :(

2. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Fan over the top of the water + ice packs is the best I can think of.

3. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Lots of ice packs are your best bet. BTW, sorry about the bedbugs I defiantly don't want any in my life time I hope you can get rid of those pests.

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Can you move the fish into a garage or even a friend's garage while the house is treated? a large food safe tote would do as a temporary tank with a heater & filter.
    I really can't see ice keeping the tank cool if the house is going to be heated to 125 degrees, it'd melt very quickly & the water temp would just rise again.

5. OP
    OP
    M

I'm sure my neighbors would let me put it in their house. I could pour out most of the water and use sheer manpower to move it over. Should I keep a small amount of water in the tank so the bacteria in the gravel don't die?

Moving the filter and heater isn't an issue.

How is do I transport the fish???

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You could use buckets to transport he fish, or if you have a local Lfs ask if they'll give you some fish bags.

7. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an expert in bedbugs

Don't mean to worry you here but bedbugs can get into extremely tight spaces so I would recommend using a container big enough to hold all of your fish with your filter and heater, that you know for a fact has NO bedbugs or eggs on it. I would hate for you to spend all of this money on a heat treatment only to take your tank out of your house and for it to happen to have eggs on the bottom of it.

8. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with the above advice, moving the fish should be your top choice, but if that isn't possible, fans and ice packs will definitely help.

9. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Ice packs won't help without repeated adding all day long. The fish need to be moved out and housed temporarily.
    I suggest using the a storage container over moving the whole tank. Moving tanks with water and substrate can cause leaks with the shifting.

10. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

How long will the temp in the house be 125 degrees? It will take some time with the ambient temp at 125 for the water in the tank to start heating up. So I wouyld think if it were only for a couple hours, the water temp would stay low.

11. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks a ton for the help so far guys. It turns out that we're only doing the heating on one floor but we ARE doing chemicals throughout all 3 floors. So what would be best to cover the aquarium? I'm afraid plastic could suffocate the tank

12. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

A damp towel, maybe? I dunno. I started using wet paper towels to cover my acclimating bowl once I found my fish jumping out.

13. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Lower the waterline to enough for them to swim comfortably and nothing more. Take the bio-media out and put in the tank water, turn off and remove air pumps and stones. Remove hang on back filters and lights and saran wrap it tightly just before they spray. Make sure all equipment(nets, syphons, air stones, filter equipment) is in a sealed container and/or washed thoroughly before you put it back in. The fish will be fine as long as you make sure their isn't any gaps in the seal of the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice