*please Help* Harlequin Rasboras Dying Daily *urgent*

Kevin Dennis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have been rapidly losing Harlequin Rasboras. Since Sunday I have lost a total of six.

I am hopeful someone here can tell me how this happened and how I can prevent it from taking out the rest of my tank.

The tank is 80 degrees and has:

8.2 PH
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5 or less PPM Nitrate

Mouth/head rot.
Wasting away and losing color( they look like zombie fish).
Flipping upside down.
"Passing Out" and sinking to the bottom, sometimes they will come back, sometimes not.
Staying near the surface and not moving.
Rapid and trouble breathing. ( One was trying to "water ski" on the surface right before he died)
Not schooling with the ones less sick.

I watched one die on the surface. My wife watched one just sink to the bottom and die. All the bodies I have found in the mornings were on the bottom.

Strangley enough they will still eat, or try to eat until the end.

Thank you.

Attachments

Kevin Dennis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a bump on the head of another Harlequin, and some of my Betta's scales appear to be turning white.

I have never experienced fish disease before and am not sure how to proceed.

Kevin Dennis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I still don't know what killed my fish. I will consult with the LFS to see what they recommend but I am considering API General Cure and API EM as it appears they can be used together and treat multiple diseases and parasites.

Kevin Dennis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here's another picture of him when he was still alive.

Another harlequin is flipping upside down somewhat regularly.

Thank you for the reply.

Attachments

Kevin Dennis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I now suspect it may be Columnaris due to the quick death, rotting above the mouth and white sores on other fish.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m no expert, by any means. But to me, this doesn’t look like columnaris. It might be present, as a secondary pathogen, but I don’t see it lingering for long enough to literally rot away part of your fish’s head.
I would recommend doing everything you can to ensure the best possible water quality and general conditions for all your fish, and monitor closely for additional signs of infection. If you haven’t done so already, read up on the signs and symptoms of the most common fish diseases. That should help you to connect the dots between what you’re seeing, what’s causing it, and what course of action or treatment to take.

Kevin Dennis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I lost another one today. Same result, his head above his mouth was rotting away. I am now down to six, and three are very sick. They are dull in color and have sunken bellies. They are having trouble swimming and are staying near the surface. One is rapidly losing his head tissue like his brother and I would be surprised if he makes it the next 12 hours.

The three healthier ones are staying in a tight group near the bottom.

I have removed the Betta and put him in another tank.

As for treatment, in have been performing daily gravel vacuums with 50% water changes. I have not added any meds as I am unsure what the disease is.

I took a few more pictures of the sick ones.

I am really hoping the expertise here can help me with a diagnosis so I do not lose my entire tank.

Thank you.

Attachments

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, if you're losing multiple fish to the same presentation of symptoms, that certainly suggests some sort of communicable or infectious disease.
I'm not sure who the disease experts are on this forum who would be best to ask. @Lucy and @Coradee are a couple of the moderators I know of, and hopefully by me tagging them into this thread, they can suggest a few members with more experience in these matters. Or maybe they will be able to help directly...
What other livestock do you have in the tank?
Fingers crossed.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry can't be a real help.
Looks like mouthrot (bacterial). But if that is the only issue we're facing I don't knoe. The ones swimming in the pics look quite poor.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is so odd. I'm afraid I don't know either. So no fish left at this point in the tank?

Kevin Dennis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Out of a total of nine I have three Harlequins left in the tank and they are starting to get thin and lose their color. I am afraid they will die before I can diagnose their disease.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry mate !
Kevin Dennis said:
Out of a total of nine I have three Harlequins left in the tank and they are starting to get thin and lose their color. I am afraid they will die before I can diagnose their disease.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom