Please Help ... Guppy unknown disease .. Pic added

1. laracroft007 Initiate Member

Hi All,

My tank is few months old fully cycled, Ammonia 0 nitrate 0 and nitrite around 50

i can see string around my guppies and platies, not sure what it is.

Please find attached pic and let me know what to do

Attached Files:

2. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure what you mean by string around the guppies and platies. Can you describe a few things? The nitrites seem rather high. How often do you do a water change? and how much water do you change each time? Do you keep plants in the aquarium? Do you have an air stone or other additional source of oxygen?

Are the fish acting differently? Have you added any new fish without a quarantine period? What size tank are the fish in and what kind of fish and how many of each are in the tank?

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Have you got the nitrites and nitrates confused? I do the same sometimes :)

NitrIte of 50ppm needs immediate attention and you need to perform some major water changes to get that down to 0ppm. (or did the test read 0.5? anyway, it will still require a water change)

NitrAte of 50ppm isn't quite so ridiculous although needs a water change to bring it below 20ppm.xx

EDIT: not sure what you mean by string but I have an Angel with fin rot who has hair like strands floating off the infected areas that sound similar, although I don't know what it is.x

4. DaniosRock Member Member

It could be a lot of things. Can you get a better picture?

5. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Poor little guy, looks like someone nipped or something has eaten at his fin down to the rays. Any other symptoms you are noticing?

6. laracroft007 Initiate Member

Hi All,

disease name it is "Anchor worms", Please how to get rid of Anchorworms, I cant lose my fishes

i changed water yesterday and today to get things better, Added aquarium salt to it.

Yes, its 25 gallon with lots and lots of plants,

Thanks all for the help

7. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Yikes. Anchor worms are nasty. You can manually remove them but you also have to treat the entire tank. The meds you will use to treat the tank are very likely to also wipe out your beneficial bacteria, so ammonia and nitrite levels will have to be monitored daily. I've never had to deal with that in my tanks, so I'd wait for more detailed steps from someone here that has. Those are just the basics.

8. laracroft007 Initiate Member

Thanks Adam,

I have lot of fry in my tank it would be impossible for me to remove worms from guppies and mollies and also on the fry ... is there a medicine where i can use and more effective

how much time do i have before it becomes serious and what all i have to do now

9. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

10. laracroft007 Initiate Member

Thanks Hollie,

Gone through the link.

As i cant remove Anchor worm manually, I decide to treat whole tank

so i bought Fluke tabs, used 2 in my tank
    added salt to the tank

do suggest if i need to add genral cure or anything else to the tank for the cure

Thanks each and every one for the help, wish my fish would get there life back

11. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I wish I had the answers for you. I'm sorry I can be of no help to you but, I do send you and the fishies my best wishes and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you x