Please Help, Getting Rid Of Tiny White Crustaceans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelaelae13

Reaction score
Hello, both of my tanks have become infested with hundreds of tiny white crustaceans, and I can't get rid of them. I've bleached everything multiple times, and changed equipment/supplies, but they still come back. I'm changing up both tanks very soon and would like to be rid of these vermin, is there anyway to get rid of them completely?

Ps. I have shrimp in both tanks so anything would have to be safe for them.

Thanks!
(I couldnt get a good picture because they constantly move, but I hope this helps some)

IMG_20180209_123232323.jpg

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To me it looks like copepods, I’m infested too, I have managed to get most with water changes but they never are completely gone....if that’s what they are, then it’s harmless, just unsightly.

Shelaelae13

Reaction score
It's not ich, it's copepods (I just didn't know the name). I know they're harmless, I just want them gone because I believe they are starting to cause my fish stress. Plus they do look horrid.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's not ich, it's copepods (I just didn't know the name). I know they're harmless, I just want them gone because I believe they are starting to cause my fish stress. Plus they do look horrid.
I can’t find a single person on any online post that has ever had luck getting completely rid of them...good luck!

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Copepods are totally harmless and will not cause fish stress, in fact fish love to snack on them. It's a sign of a healthy tank and from what experience I've had the best way to get rid of them is just to stop feeding your fish for a couple days. As the fish grow hungry they start hunting the little suckers. What's important is they're harmless and you'll end up doing more damage trying to get rid of them than just leaving them alone. People buy and sell copepods for fish food, they are harmless and if your fish are showing signs of stress, something else is wrong. Be careful bleaching things, even though it's harmless once totally dry it can potentially cause harm if wet and taking out and moving around objects to bleach in the tank will definitely cause your whole ecosystem stress.

Quick update: sounds like the only way to really get rid of them is to have a fish that eats them, any small fish will most likely do. The thing is, copepods are actually really beneficial in helping dispose of extra food and other particulates and copepods appear when the tank has a lot of extra nutrients and when you overfeed. If it were up to me I'd leave them be our find a fish that will eat them. Just stop feeding for a couple days and see what happens.

Last edited:

ralph113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
in my experience. i get them when i over feed my fish and i just some of my fish eat them. idk about shrimps

Shelaelae13

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I did buy more Cory's recently, and the copepod numbers in that tank seem to have decreased since then. I was just hoping to rid the tanks of them before I changed them up.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All i can find is reduce feeding to reduce them or a blow torch. Lol

Gadfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had them in my planted tank during the cycle. Then I put in my Betta. They disappeared quickly.

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Quick update: sounds like the only way to really get rid of them is to have a fish that eats them, any small fish will most likely do. The thing is, copepods are actually really beneficial in helping dispose of extra food and other particulates and copepods appear when the tank has a lot of extra nutrients and when you overfeed. If it were up to me I'd leave them be our find a fish that will eat them. Just stop feeding for a couple days and see what happens.
This is the key solution, imo. It's not that you should just tolerate seeing them, because after all, they are harmless, or because after all, they are also food for your fish. It's that you have created some situation where it allows the copepods to become numerous with a high population.

I think the example given by OP is a good one. After very much maintenance and cleaning, the copepods keep re-appearing after some time. It's because the same conditions keep re-occurring, which is very likely that there is overfeeding going on after the tanks and tank objects are cleaned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 57 64.8%

Top Bottom