Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Please Help Flowerhorn Fred!! Help

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Nikki2577, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

So my poor flowerhorn Fred is very ill. Sunday morning I woke up to him with a banged up KOK and a swollen eye. I am assuming he got startled and smashed into the glass. We had my sister and her family for the weekend and he isn’t used to people walking by his tank at night.

I immediately did a 70% water change. Monday his eye was worse and then his other eye started to swell. I did another 50% water change put some epsom salt and dosed Kanaplex into the tank. Well it’s now Tuesday and he looks even worse. I just got done with another 50% water change.

Tank-75 gallon
    Filtration- ac110, sunsun304b, huge sponge filter.
    Ammonia-0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate-5

Temp-82

Weekly water changes are 50-70% temp matched

No fish added

Please help me with my boy. I didn’t re-dose the Kanaplex because I don’t know what I should do.

2. MommaWildeWell Known MemberMember

His tank is big, good filtration and great water quality. I'd leave him be and give him time to heal. If you want to treat with something I'd try Dr. Tim's first defense. Its basically a really good multivitamin. It will help him heal on his own.

I got 2 juvenile green severums about a month or 2 ago. One came down with an awful eye injury and it looked like it was going to come off. I thought for sure he was going to lose the eye or worse.

I used erythromycin but you've already used kanaplex. So I think you're good there. I then used the dr Tim's first defense. His eye is almost 100% better now. He used to have dark stress colors when his eye was bad and now his coloring is better too. Initially his eye appeared to get worse before it got better.

I hope this helps. Don't give up.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  3. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

4. MommaWildeWell Known MemberMember

Yeah that's not too bad. Working at a fish store, I've saved fish from way worse

5. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

Really??? Wow ok that makes me feel better. What do I do? Lots of water changes or treat?

It’s not the head I am too worried about it’s the eyes.

6. MommaWildeWell Known MemberMember

The water change schedule you're on is great. You've already treated for bacterial infection so I'd just get the "first defense ". That's it.

7. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

I stopped all treatment so I only treated for one night with Kanaplex. So your saying just water changes?

8. MommaWildeWell Known MemberMember

Yes. Clean water is #1.
    If you see any red sores or fuzzy white appearing that would indicate infection or fungus. At that point you could start treating. But there is no need to treat until then. Treating with meds is stressful to them so I wouldn't recommend it until its actually needed.

9. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

The spots on his head are now white. Let me see if I can get a better picture for you.

Image1555439350.680445.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2019
  10. MommaWildeWell Known MemberMember

You could try stress guard by seachem. It's an antiseptic. Wards off infection.

To be honest, this is common with flowerhorns. They get spooked or upset, redecorate etc. They can easily injure themselves .

11. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

Ok I will give it a try. Thank you for your help:)

12. MommaWildeWell Known MemberMember

You're very welcome. Keep us posted!

13. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

I sure will! Is it normal healing process for like a white film kind of peeling off of his eye?

14. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

My BEST to Fred!!!

15. MommaWildeWell Known MemberMember

I don't know. I've seen fish recover from a lot though. I believe you are doing everything you can within reason. I certainly know the worry you feel. I'd just keep doing what you're already doing.

Like I said, my severums eye looked like it was coming off completely and it healed.

16. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

I will tell him you said to get better quick! I can’t stand seeing him like this.

17. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

Ok I will just keep his water super clean and hope he recovers. Yea I am a little overboard with him he is my baby.

18. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

He won’t eat any food now:(

19. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Big Boy & Rocky send their BEST wishes to Fred for a speedy recovery!!!

20. MommaWildeWell Known MemberMember

Ok. How often do you feed? Also what is his regular food and favorite treat?

I feed my fish every other day. My flowerhorn is a pig and never misses a meal. Other flowerhorns I've cared for that weren't mine only missed meals when they were sick or stressed.

It could just be stress, fingers crossed.