Please help! Fish dying =(

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Several months ago, I had 3 Otos die in short succession, from what a type of body fungus. The first died in the tank before I was able to notice it, and the other two were quarantined and passed in the QT tank.
All was well for another few months until, suddenly, one of my dear Silver Hatchets passed on. He had no physical symptoms that I could discern, and had been acting fine until I noticed him on the bottom of the tank. He was at least 3 years old, and I've read that that's their life expectancy, so I assumed he died of old age. I tested the water at that point, and the results were ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, and nitrate: 5.
Just a little over a week ago, another of my Silver Hatchets suddenly passed, with no symptoms. He was much younger than the other two Silvers. I tested the water again, and the results were the same as last time (ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 5). I wondered if the fungus the Otos had months before could somehow be contaminating my fish, so I medicated the tank with maracyn-2 for five days (did exactly as the box told me).
Now today, I found one of my Striped Kuhli Loaches dead at the bottom of the tank. Its stomach looked white and bloated, but they are rather fat (lots of snail eggs to eat along with their food) and always have been. The only signs it had been showing were that the three of them (I have 3 Kuhli Loaches... well, 2 now =( ) had been hanging out at a front corner of the tank, which they usually never do. They tend to hide most of the day and come out and wander at night.
I tested the water again today and the results are still ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, and nitrate: 5. What do you think could be happening to my poor babies? I'm so sad about this. =( I love my fish so much and I want to help them as best I can. Please, help me help them!

taffy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi, je55*e the only thing i can think of is the snails they carry a parasite that isnt allways active cheque your LFS they may give you a better idea but i do know snails can be a real problem hope things sort out for you ( taffy)

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you know more about this parasite and its effects? How to know it's there?

taffy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi the only thing i can say is i lost a couple of fish like you have when i asked at my lfs the first thing they asked was have you got snails in your tank when i told them i had they told me to pick out all the big ones i could then treat the tank with an anti snail treatment so i did and my fish stopped dieing they said the snail carries something in thier stomachs that they can pass on to fish if the fish eat the snails i,ll be honest i used to crush the snails so the fish could eat them NOT ANYMORE i,am sure youll get a bit more info on this so i,ll keep watchin this thread hope you sort yours out (taffy)

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you for your help, Taffy.

taffy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Je55*e did any of your fish have like a cloudy eye because white furing can happen soon as the fish dies unless they had it before they died hope this will help

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No one had cloudy eyes, but I thought one of my Hatchets who had died had one eye that looked a tad larger than the other. That very well could have been my imagination, but otherwise, nothing wrong with the eyes. I'm thankful that you are coming back to help me. No one else is =/

taffy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi, no problem i whent to my local shop yesterday if you want to clear your tank of snails use a weak salution of POTTASSIUM-PERMANGANATE and rinse well with clean water that will kill off the eggs of the snails but you,ll have to pick out the bigger ones plants, rocks ,wood anything you can remove other than that you could bye some clown loaches have you lost anymore fish, hope not dont forget fish are like puppies the,ll eat and eat till they bust untill you control the snail eggs reduce your feeding worth a try take care (taffy)

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks again for all your help, Taffy. =)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom