PLEASE HELP fish bleeding maybe

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by atmmachine816, Mar 31, 2006.

1. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

I just realized one of my harlequin rasboras has red spots on his sides that look like he might be bleeding from the inside. Earlier this week I noticed him not always swimming around as much but he still ate and this is the first time I have ever seen somthing visibly wrong with him. Basically its a red spot right in the middle of his body one side larger than the other, bright red in color. Is he bleeding, what should I do??

Please help

Austin

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I'll assume that you have tested ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and everything else is going OK.
    As well as having finrot, one of my Otos had red streaks under his "chin". I think it was hemorrhaging, which I'm pretty sure just means internal bleeding. I used Jungle Fungus Clear Tank Buddies, which cures that and finrot and other stuff, and anyway now he's fine. The reddness went away after about a week. Note that I also turned up the temp to help with the finrot, and that may have helped with the reddness too. I recommend trying the Fungus Clear, it's cheap and easy to find but also strong and effective.
    I hope your fish gets better!

3. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Well I don't have any money right now but will be getting around 40$ that my parents owe me in a week but do you think it is contagious? Do you think I should move the oto to the guppy tank and do a salt bath and raise the temperature?

Thanks

Austin

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

First of all don't worry the meds are really cheap, and second of all it shouldn't be contagious. I would see if you can get the money sooner. I don't think a salt bath would help in this case, but raising the temp might, I dunno.

5. MarcWell Known MemberMember

Most medicines (at least near me) are under $5. I'm sure your parents wouldn't mind giving you the money a tad earlier if you explain that you need to buy the medicine for your fish.

6. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

I hope your fish get better, whatever this disease is. Best of luck with the treatment.

7. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Well with the help of a friend we figured out that he was beyond cure(it was too late) and I killed him. I put him in a small bowl with a little tank water and poured freezing water over him and he died instantly, this is what I was told to do to kill it so it's as painful as possible. What are your opinoins.

Austin

8. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

yep thats a good way to do it, rather than just putting him in the freezer and letting him slowly die
    sorry about your fish :'(

9. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yea, sorry about your fish. :'(

10. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Well it was a quick death, just hope nobody else gets it.

11. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I would do extra water changes to make sure the water stays nice and clean. The reddness could have been a bacterial infection.