Please Help- Fighting Flow And Micro Bubbles

FireflySky

Looking for some input on the importance of surface agitation and minor filter issues.. I have 2 Aquaclears, a 70 and a 30, and I keep getting micro bubbles. The 70's flow has been blowing my fish around some, so I made a homemade baffle using a water bottle. Even without the baffle, I feel like I don't get more than gentle ripples on the surface. I do notice a slight film sometimes on the surface, usually residue after feeding I think. I've even punched holes and made slits in the baffle to improve flow without disrupting the fish, but all it does is give me more micro bubbles. I'm not keen on airstones and not really sure what to do with a powerhead, so ideally I'd like to not add more equipment in the tank. How much surface agitation to I need for proper aeration?? And how do I get rid of these darn bubbles?? (Already using polyfill).

Mike1995

have your tank filled all the way to filter outtake.

AmnScott

As mentioned above you need to bring your water level higher to the outlet of the filter.

How many fish do you have and what size tank? It may not seem like you have "enough" surface agitation but all of those ripples are aiding in the exchange of gases (giving your fish oxygen). It's actually not the bubbles that cause the gas exchange in the tank as much as it is all of those ripples on the surface of the water. Also, you really don't want too much surface agitation, especially if you have plants. The amount created by two AquaClear HOB's should be enough (I'd like to know the size of the tank though).

FireflySky

As mentioned above you need to bring your water level higher to the outlet of the filter.

How many fish do you have and what size tank? It may not seem like you have "enough" surface agitation but all of those ripples are aiding in the exchange of gases (giving your fish oxygen). It's actually not the bubbles that cause the gas exchange in the tank as much as it is all of those ripples on the surface of the water. Also, you really don't want too much surface agitation, especially if you have plants. The amount created by two AquaClear HOB's should be enough (I'd like to know the size of the tank though).

I have a 40 gallon breeder, an AC 70 and a 30, and at least moderately planted with anubias and java fern. I have 23 neon tetras and 7 juvenile nanoluteus. According toI'm less than 80% stocked, and I don't plan to fully stock.

I feel like there's just not enough ripples. Obviously the AC 70 puts out more, but it's on one side of the tank. I have a spare AC powerhead 30 that I'm debating putting on the other side, just to help out the smaller filter. I really don't want to fill my tank with a bunch of equipment, though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ad78
Replies
Views
KYRph
Replies
Views
Redviper
Replies
Views