Please help diagnise my betta!! (Fin rot? Parasites?)

beaviemunsta

Reaction score
I've been treating for fin rot with water changes and melafix (respectively) my nitrates and ammonia are down to 0 I havent tested my nitrites
My friend said it may be parasites given how bad he looks and because he seems to be losing a lot of weight too :(so im looking for help diagnosing and treating
His heater also just broke in his 5 gallon
I'm not sure if I should put him in a 1g hospital tank since I have a small heater for that, or putthe small heater in the 5g and keep him there? Hes the only animal in there so I know he doesnt have to be isolated but would the hospital tank benefit at all in that case?
Hes very pale, he still greets me at the glass and seems like he still has energy, but hes clearly suffering and going downhill. Please help me :(
He also is still eating ok (every other day a few bug bites tropical fish food)
And his tank has been going since January and he was put in in February
His eyes look discolored too..

Photos are when I got him, and today :(
Hes gotten worse the past week or 2, I realize just how bad it was when i compared the photos :'( my poor betta.... I feel like I'm failing him, please help me help him

Screenshot_20200529-011812_Instagram.jpg
20200529_011804.jpg

gourameee

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
put your heater in the 5 gallon. for sick fishes, the more water the better, so the ammonia etc doesn't fluctuate and stress out the fishes even more.
were there white blotches on the fins? because putting meds in the water when the fish doesn't need it can also harm the fish. change the water frequently, at 25% a week.
remove any potentially sharp objects or decor like rocks. if the wood is sharp, maybe just smack it with a hammer (take it out of the tank ofc) to make it blunt. you dont want any sharp fake leaves or decor cutting your betta's fins.

meds are your last resort. if you can, call and ring up a local vet, ask questions and they shouldn't charge you. take that chance and call.

OP
beaviemunsta

beaviemunsta

Reaction score
gourameee said:
put your heater in the 5 gallon. for sick fishes, the more water the better, so the ammonia etc doesn't fluctuate and stress out the fishes even more.
were there white blotches on the fins? because putting meds in the water when the fish doesn't need it can also harm the fish. change the water frequently, at 25% a week.
remove any potentially sharp objects or decor like rocks. if the wood is sharp, maybe just smack it with a hammer (take it out of the tank ofc) to make it blunt. you dont want any sharp fake leaves or decor cutting your betta's fins.

meds are your last resort. if you can, call and ring up a local vet, ask questions and they shouldn't charge you. take that chance and call.
I'm at my last resort, hes been having water changes for weeks with little to no improvement, and no he has no white spots. Theres no sharp objects and hes not ripping his fins, I see holes appear and get bigger over days like they're being burnt into him. At this point I just need help finding a diagnosis so I can proceed.

OP
beaviemunsta

beaviemunsta

Reaction score
20200530_153545.jpg

Heres a close up with flash
Does it maybe look like Velvet??

gourameee

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
beaviemunsta said:
20200530_153545.jpg

Heres a close up with flash
Does it maybe look like Velvet??
is the water temperature and other parameters like pH consistent? if it isn't and fluctuates, it can stress your fish. I also don't know what to do now...

New Threads