Please help!!! Choquing betta!!!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by marina3, Apr 5, 2010.

1. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

My gosh!!! I think Carlitos is choking on a couple of pelletes!!!!! OMG!!! What do I do????!!!!

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

They should start to desolve. Is he ok?

3. bass master

bass master Well Known Member Member

if you could describe the behavior that could be helpful, its very possible hes just chewing on it, they kinda snap their head upwards while the chew it, it does look kinda like theyre choking but if it only lasts less than two minutes hes probably fine. If it looks like he struggles with the pellet for more than 5 minutes you might want to switch brands of fish food

4. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I agree with Bassmaster, What brand of fish food are you using and how old is your bettea (if you know) if not about how big is he?

5. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

as the others said, if he's only a little guy and still needs to grow (they max out at around 4 inches), u may want to buy him a smaller food

6. OP
    OP
    m

Update on choking episode...

Hi guys! What a scare!! It was my fault, I was trying to "push down" some pellets to the frog that shares Carlitos' tank and I dropped a bunch of this hard pellets!!! Although I was trying to remove as much as I could from the water, I guess carlitos grab a few at once and when I looked his mouth was open and I could actually see the pellet right in the opening of his mouth!!! He swam for a while and coughed out a "big ball" of pellets, he kept swimming with his mouth open and I could see another pellet!! he stopped at a corner and started to tilt t one side...that is when I freaked out and sent the message to you all!!! He then coughed up another pellet and of course I removed it. After that he stopped and rested on a plant without moving his front fins so I thought IS OVER!!! and started praying...I am telling you, I wanted to grab him and do the Heimlich Maneuver on him!!!!:eek:
    Right now, he is swimming straight but can see a little bulge right behind his fron fins!!! I am planning to not feed him tomorrow and the pea the day after... He is such a piggie...but was truly my fault!!!:;fru
    THANK you for yours help!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  7. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Glad to hear he is well Marina. I would fast him for three days if he ate food that wasnt intended for him and was big enough to choke him up like that. Fast him today pea tommrow then another day of fasting. He'll be good. Best of Luck.

8. hooxeii

hooxeii Well Known Member Member

He's an adorable fish, glad to hear he's ok.

9. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Glad he's OK, what a scare. Mars did that once, freaked me out!

10. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you guys!!! You know that he is at my office, right? Well, I was so worried of what was I going to find this morning that I asked the security at my office building, if he could "check on him" when doing his rounds at our floor!!! hahaha...seriously, and he did! called him last night to see what he found and he said "yes mam, Carlitos is swimming around!" LOL! This morning his bulge was gone and I gave him 1/2 a pea that of course, as the piggie tha he is, didn't have a problem eating...I should have waited until tomorrow for the pea, but like Furralica said, now I am going to fast him for another day...what a scare!! I felt so hopeless!!!

Thank you guys again!!!:)

11. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

awww that's so cute that you had security check in on him! glad he's ok. i dunno, can fish actually choke to death? or dogs or cats for that matter? i guess i've never hear of any animal doing it, but i'm sure it's possible. i bet it was scary to see that. :D

12. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

if it breeths, it can choke to death, im assuming bettas fall in to that catagory, seeing as they get air fron the waters surface

13. OP
    OP
    m

Yeah, right? I know that dogs are "good" at that..specially when eating bones! i have had cats and dogs for a long time but thank God no incidents... one of the hardest things for me to do in this hobby is to KNOW what amount is the "right" amount of food to give to fish...I tend to "show my love" overfeeding my animals, cats & dogs is so much easier to ration their food, fishies...not so much!!!:;juggle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice