Please Help Betta with Dropsy Getting Better?

lillythebetta

See Emergency Template Below:
Hello, I am the owner of a female half moon betta fish that I purchased from PetSmart in September 2020. I did extensive research before purchasing my betta and have no had any problems with her until a week ago. Around 2 weeks ago I contracted Covid-19 and had to leave my home to isolate for 10 days due to my university rules. I live alone. Because my room was infected with Covid I was not able to have someone come in and feed Lilly. She has never had problems in the past with eating. I put a 7 day feeder in the aquarium as it was my only option. I also did a 25% water change before leaving. Last Thursday When I came back after isolation the feeder was gone and she seemed to be normal. I fed her (her diet is in template below) and she did not fully eat her food. She also spent more time than usual next to her filter. The reason why I didn't suspect anything was wrong is because she normally like to spend time near her filter. The next day, Friday, I planned on doing a water change and feeding her when I noticed she was quite bloated all over, not a normal bloat from overeating. I peered into the aquarium from above and saw pine coning and immediately knew it was dropsy as I did a lot of research before purchasing her. I knew that since she was bloated and pine coning she didn't much time and would not be able to survive. I am a college student and money is tight, and thought that since these symptoms were so prevalent the best option was to purchase clove oil and put her down. The next day, Saturday she was even more bloated and pineconing, I was I had gotten a picture but it was much more worse than the first picture. I planned on getting the clove oil that night but when i had come back home she had become less bloated! Keep in mind I have not been feeding her or have changed the water or done any antibiotic treatments. I have waited from Sunday on and her situation has miraculously gotten better! Her bloating has gone down and she is back to a normal size, and her pineconing is also down as well. It is hard to see in these pictures the difference in bloating but on the day she was bloated the most she was at least 1cm larger than she is now. She also has been swimming around much more and as a result I fed her one freeze dried bloodworm which she ate. The only new development is that she has a white patch on her body that looks like a fungal infection. Her situation has surprised me so I decided to hop on here and ask for advice. I do not want to invest in a treatment if she still has a bad prognosis, but I don't want to prematurely euthanize her. I also have to find the most affordable solution. I am wondering why her situation is better and if there is anything I can do to make it better. Before writing this I did a 25% water change. In order to not stress her out I am avoiding taking her out of the tank to do a full clean. Please help me with my girl and let me know if any additional information is needed!

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 Gallons
How long has the tank been running? One Month in this cycle
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 87 F ( 30 C)
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
One Female Halfmoon Betta (five months old)

Maintenance

How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? 25% water change
What do you use to treat your water? Tetra Water Conditioner for all water being put in. When starting my cycle i used Tetra bacteria starter. Her tank was cycled for 2 weeks before she was put in. I also use Aquarium salt as needed.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? No. I try my best to clean waste out without a vacumn.

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes.
What do you use to test the water? For pH, No2, No3, KH, Gh I use API 5 in 1 test strips. For ammonia levels I use Jungle Quick Dip test strips.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.8

Feeding

How often do you feed your fish? 6 days a week 1 day fast
How much do you feed your fish? Either two Aqueon betta food pellets and two freeze-dried Tetra blood worms, or four pellets and no worms.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra worms and Aqueon pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes freeze-dried worms.

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish? Five months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Last Friday, Jan 15th.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Progressive increase of bloating and pineconing then substantial decrease of bloating and pineconing, lethargic and decrease of appetite. Onset of white patch on body.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? See symptoms above and attached photos.

RenderedImage 2.jpeg

RenderedImage 3.jpeg

RenderedImage 4.jpeg

RenderedImage.jpeg

Attachments

• RenderedImage 2.jpeg
    RenderedImage 2.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 10

Luckyscale2003

87 seems a bit high in temp i keep mine between 78 and 80 do epsom salt baths to get the fluid out and she will be ok also buy sone tetra life guard it will cure it in conjunction with the epsom salts let me know if you have ?'s

Upvote 0

lillythebetta

87 seems a bit high in temp i keep mine between 78 and 80 do epsom salt baths to get the fluid out and she will be ok also buy sone tetra life guard it will cure it in conjunction with the epsom salts let me know if you have ?'s
I should have noted that the only reason it is high is due to her condition and that I normally keep the temp at 80. Thank you so much for the help, I greatly appreciate it

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

I should have noted that the only reason it is high is due to her condition and that I normally keep the temp at 80. Thank you so much for the help, I greatly appreciate it
Yes just lower the temp and do the salt bath as said by the previous poster. You can also consider Feeding Peas as these are supposed to help with Bloating fish. Just do some research on the proper feeding method of feeding Peas. Hoping for a speedy recovery for your betta!
Reading through your question and info of the tank below, It became apparent that you're fish has white spot. This could is a little concerning as your fish could have Itch, or even Columnaris (but most likley itch)

Upvote 0

dMog

peas are not for bettas,,,try daphnia, live or frozen .... zero readings for ammonia nitrite AND nitrate pretty much means the tank is not cycled... yes you need 0 for ammonia and nitrite but 0 for nitrate means there likely no ammonia and nd no nitrite eating bacteria,.... a cycle takes 6 weeks or more, even with bacteria in a bottle, 5 weeks if you are lucky

Upvote 0

lillythebetta

peas are not for bettas,,,try daphnia, live or frozen .... zero readings for ammonia nitrite AND nitrate pretty much means the tank is not cycled... yes you need 0 for ammonia and nitrite but 0 for nitrate means there likely no ammonia and nd no nitrite eating bacteria,.... a cycle takes 6 weeks or more, even with bacteria in a bottle, 5 weeks if you are lucky
Thank you for the advice, the cycle is important and I think it might have to do with way she maybe contracted this in the first place. I am paying extra attention to this from now on.

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Nitrates can be zero if there are plants in the tank is heavily planted.

Upvote 0

Luckyscale2003

Yes just lower the temp and do the salt bath as said by the previous poster. You can also consider Feeding Peas as these are supposed to help with Bloating fish. Just do some research on the proper feeding method of feeding Peas. Hoping for a speedy recovery for your betta!
Reading through your question and info of the tank below, It became apparent that you're fish has white spot. This could is a little concerning as your fish could have Itch, or even Columnaris (but most likley itch)
man columnaris is rough my betta has had it for a record of 3 days and its a race against time as her meds arrive Friday so hopefully she can continue to fight for her life I have been doing extreme low temps and high sodium salt baths along with concentrated targeted salt bath

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

man columnaris is rough my betta has had it for a record of 3 days and its a race against time as her meds arrive Friday so hopefully she can continue to fight for her life I have been doing extreme low temps and high sodium salt baths along with concentrated targeted salt bath
Hoping for the best for your betta. Yeah Columnaris is an absolute nasty disease.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Analisemcg
Replies