Please help! Betta problems!

1. Oceangirl53 Initiate Member

Tonight, I couldn't see my betta in my tank anywhere! It was around feeding time and he hadn't come out. I finally found him when I picked up the coral decoration. I gave him a pinch of food and he seemed to be fine, swimming around like normal after that. But can this be a sign a sign of stress? Although I did come home a while after normal feeding time for him.. I was wondering if this was a sign of stress? There are three other fish in the tank (2 mollies, Cory cat) but they each kind of mind their own business.
    Pleaseeeeee help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi, and welcome.
    I will be honest and say for me, housing betta with other fish is something I don't do as I have had no luck with that.
    That said, how big of a tank do you have a plant or something to make it easy for your betta to hang out near the top?
    My betta (I have 6 now as I routinely give fish and complete set ups to friends and family) each have a shot glass to sleep in. a betta leaf, and a floating log plus real and/or fake plants. Sometimes they sleep on bottom and that may be what yours was doing.
    Each of mine have a 5g tanks now (started with 2-2 1/2g tanks). They are all housed alone and quite happy and healthy. I tell you this to let you know it is okay for them to be housed alone.
    If your betta is stressed, it may be time to get a second tank just for him. Your cory may also be upset because they need a group of at least 6 to be stress free. The molly is fine as long as the tank is large enough. :)
    The fish you mention need at least a 20g tank (except the betta) to be stress free.
    However, if they are young you may be able to get away with this for a short time but will need to upgrade your tank if it is not big enough.
    Good luck and hope this helps! :)

3. FiscCyning Member Member

It's possible he was hiding because of stress from being with the other fish (bettas are solitary fish and rarely do well in community tanks). How big is the tank and how long has it been set up? Are the other fish new? He might be much happier if you moved him to a tank of his own so he wouldn't be so stressed.

4. Oceangirl53 Initiate Member

It's a 20 gallon and I've had the fish for a week. He seems to be swimming around a lot more this morning and doesn't seem to be stressed. He used to be In a 3 gallon, and in there he would always sleep at the bottom. He also has many places to hide and a purple plant that he loves. Also, I plan on doing a water change today because the water is getting a little cloudy... Do you think this had anything to do with it?

5. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

i think maybe he was just tired he could get a little stressed from other fish but i have a betta with angelfish and others and he is fine

6. FiscCyning Member Member

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? In a tank that new cloudiness is probably a sign of it not being cycled. Do you have a test kit so you can check the levels of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

Keeping a betta in a community tank really depends on the personality of the betta. The occasional betta will be okay with other fish, but by far the majority will not be happy.

7. Oceangirl53 Initiate Member

Yes, I'm aware of the nitrogen cycle and cycling right now. My betta almost never chases the other fish so... And also he's most active at nigh and in the morning