Please help, Betta lethargic, brown fungus on tail

DeepJardini

My betta had just healed from ich. He rarely moves. Today I noticed the he had some brownish fungus like things on the end of his tail. I also noticed that he doesn't swim not because he's lethargic, but because he can't swim. He can't stay on balance... What should I do, please...

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
15 litres (4 Gallons)
How long has the tank been running?
Two months
Does it have a filter?
Yes, a sponge filter
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
28 degrees Celsius. I managed to make it 30 to cure ich but then I decreased it day by day.
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
A betta, a baby dwarf pleco.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Per week
How much of the water do you change?
About 1/3
What do you use to treat your water?
Reeflowers remorganics, I don't use it so much though.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I vacuum the substrate.

*Parameters - Very Important

Unfortunately I can't test my water... I can't afford a test kit...

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
I used to feed him once a day. After he had ich I started to feed twice a day.
How much do you feed your fish?
Not so much, not so less
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
TetraPhyll
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
I've tried to get him eat freeze dried bloodworms but he didn't like it, so I stopped.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
A month and 25 days.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
A few days ago. But I noticed him having trouble swimming and the "fungus" today.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Having trouble swimming, he can't stay on balance and sinks. Rarely moves, just lays on the bottom. Not interested in food. Brown, cotton like things on the end of his tail. He's very pale.
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
I did a water change and dropped a drop of methylene blue.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
They (the seller) said that they cut his tail, due to an infection.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
He became very pale and lethargic. He loved to interact with me, he was always excited to see me. But now he doesn't react what I do... He shows no interest in food also.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
He was healthy and strong, even when he had ich he was so active. To cure ich, I prepared a solution of methylene blue and aquarium salt in a little tank. I increased the temperature day by day. When I put him in the medicine solution, and then back to the tank, he had been lethargic for a few hours, then he was doing fine. I did this one more time, same reaction. I thought this was because of the salt, (because my pleco had also ich and when I put him/her in the solution but without salt, he/she was doing great) so I prepared the same solution but without salt. Also this time I kept him so short in there. When he was back to the tank he was still lethargic, I thought he will do fine since he did before. But since then, he is like this... At first he was eating and he could swim when he wanted. Later he became very lethargic. I dropped just one drop of methylene blue, and he was a bit more active. But now he's same... Also I noticed the brown cotton like things on the end of his tail and I also noticed that he can't swim well.

Attachments

Jeroen712

Sounds like Fin rot to me, but i'm not a 100% sure

DeepJardini

Jeroen712 said:
Sounds like Fin rot to me, but i'm not a 100% sure
Thank you. I also suspected from the fit rot but the swimming trouble and the fungus... Does he have more than one disease?

Jeroen712

It could be severe Fin rot (can cause the body to rot) or poor water quality, if you live near a local fish store they can test your water for free.

DeepJardini

Jeroen712 said:
It could be severe Fin rot (can cause the body to rot) or poor water quality, if you live near a local fish store they can test your water for free.
Thanks!

mattgirl

In a tank this size with a Betta and a pleco I would be changing out no less than 50% of the water at the very least every 3 days. Fresh clean water is often the very best medicine we can give our finned pets. I know you said your pleco is a baby dwarf pleco but pleco's of any size are heavy waste producers.

Without having the numbers (pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) we can't tell if the water in this tank is causing what you are seeing. My first plan of action will always be water changes but sometimes water changes have been known to add to the problem if there is a problem with the source water. Without the numbers from there we are just shooting in the dark. Can you tell us what part of the world you live in? Quite often the waters in the UK are high in nitrates. Other parts of the world have other things in their source water.

DeepJardini

mattgirl said:
In a tank this size with a Betta and a pleco I would be changing out no less than 50% of the water at the very least every 3 days. Fresh clean water is often the very best medicine we can give our finned pets. I know you said your pleco is a baby dwarf pleco but pleco's of any size are heavy waste producers.

Without having the numbers (pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) we can't tell if the water in this tank is causing what you are seeing. My first plan of action will always be water changes but sometimes water changes have been known to add to the problem if there is a problem with the source water. Without the numbers from there we are just shooting in the dark. Can you tell us what part of the world you live in? Quite often the waters in the UK are high in nitrates. Other parts of the world have other things in their source water.
I live in Turkey but after the ich disease I promised myself to not use tap water ever again, I'll now buy packaged water found in markets, I did my first water change with the my new water a few hours ago, I hope I did a right decision... Yes I agree that I should do more water changes with the pleco. I'll do water changes more frequently from now.

mattgirl

DeepJardini said:
I live in Turkey but after the ich disease I promised myself to not use tap water ever again, I'll now buy packaged water found in markets, I did my first water change with the my new water a few hours ago, I hope I did a right decision... Yes I agree that I should do more water changes with the pleco. I'll do water changes more frequently from now.
As long as you buy drinking water it should have the necessary minerals so should be perfect for this little tank. Hopefully using the bottled water and doing bigger water changes more often will prevent what is happening and your fish will get and stay healthy. :)

DeepJardini

mattgirl said:
As long as you buy drinking water it should have the necessary minerals so should be perfect for this little tank. Hopefully using the bottled water and doing bigger water changes more often will prevent what is happening and your fish will get and stay healthy. :)
I hope. Thanks for replying!

Top Bottom