Please Help! Betta Is Very Sick! Help

1. elisea4 Initiate Member

IMG_3130.jpg IMG_3136.jpg
    Hi. My 2.5 year old Betta has some sort of large growth/tumor in front of his right eye. It developed within the last week and seems to be open (have seen it bleed a little a couple times); it seems like it may be getting worse. At first he seemed okay but now it seems to be impairing his vision and swimming and he seems confused and very disoriented. I wasn't able to get him to eat today. I've been doing a lot of google searches and I can't find anything else like this, can ANYONE tell me what is wrong with him and if there is anything I can do to cure him!!??

More info about my betta and the tank: he seemed to be acting sick for a while and I was worried it was fin rot (the white at the base of his tail has been there for a while and will not go away). I added some live plants and got better filters and he seemed to be doing better after that, but then all of a sudden this tumor thing popped up and things have gone downhill quickly. It is a 3 gallon tank, filtered and heated (usually between 78-80 degrees), and I use filtered and conditioned tap water.

These pictures are from a couple days ago... it seems to look a little worse now and he is not nearly as active or coherent anymore.

I am very desperate! Any info would be greatly appreciated!
  2. CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

w o w, it may be a cancer tumor

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If it is a tumor, which would be my guess, there's nothing you can do but keep him comfortable. When he stops eating for a while, I'd consider euthanizing :(
  4. Atomicfish Member Member

Wow I never seen anything like that before. It’s either what others said a tumor or some kinda growth from a old wound or something.

5. InsanityShard Member Member

It looks like a tumor. My last one died from one that looked very similar, it came up fast too but was very fatty so it impeded his swimming a bit. He ate up until the last day though. Not much you can do, sadly..
  6. elisea4 Initiate Member

Thank you all for the help. Here is an updated picture of how it looks today. It looks almost as if something is eating away at his flesh? If anyone thinks it could be anything other than a tumor I would be interested to hear. Regardless, his quality of life seems to be declining and he is eating less... will probably have to euthanize him by the end of the weekend :( IMG_3175.jpg
  7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could try to treat with antibiotics? But I wouldn't count on it working :( It looks pretty severe.