Please Help, Betta Is Sick And Water Parameters Are High!

ch0507449
So my betta is sick and I couldn't tell if it was fin rot or ick so I went ahead and bought the Tetra Lifeguard all in one just to be sure. I was told when using it that I can't change the water and its a 5 day treatment.

My parameters are:
PH : 7.2
Ammonia : 0.50 ppm
Nitrite : 1.0 ppm
Nitrate : 20 ppm

I've used Prime to try and help lower the ammonia and nitrite levels, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. How am I supposed to lower the levels if I can't do any water changes? I don't know if it will be better to stop the treatment and change the water or continue through the treatment. I don't want him to die.

Timmy1027
Seems you didn't have a cycled tank, did you?

ch0507449

Unfortunately I did not as pet stores definitely do not like to tell you. Even though I blatantly told the guy I just got my tank while I was buying my fish. I'm doing my absolute best to try and get him through this.

Today he is doing loads better than yesterday now that I've got medicine in there. At least I'm assuming that's what is helping him.

Rainy day
Prime doesn't lower anything. It just detoxifies for 24 hours, the only way your ammonia and nitrite is going down is through water changes.

Lunnietic
Photo of the beta?

There are other ways to treat ich and fin rot rather then jumping straight into meds.

ch0507449
Timmy1027
Betta is one of the hardest fish, that is why it is normally kept in a tiny bowl at pet store. But this doesn't necessarily mean Betta can stand long term toxicity.

Fin rot always comes with infection, you need antibiotic to treat that. But antibiotic also kills beneficial bacterial. I recommend you take your fish out and put it in a large bowl or container, use purified/bottled water and change it daily. Meanwhile, get a bottle of beneficial bacteria NOW and start tank cycling. In best scenario, your betta can wait until you have your tank cycled in a few weeks.

To correctly use Prime, prepare a large container, say 5 gallon, save tap water in it and dose Prime as instructed. Let the water sit for days before add it your fish tank.

Btw, did you have a filter in your tank? Beneficial bacteria need coarse surface to attach on and need water flow to feed.
For bacteria, I used Mirobe-Lift NiteOutII, you can use something similar.

ch0507449
Betta is one of the hardest fish, that is why it is normally kept in a tiny bowl at pet store. But this doesn't necessarily mean Betta can stand long term toxicity.

Fin rot always comes with infection, you need antibiotic to treat that. But antibiotic also kills beneficial bacterial. I recommend you take your fish out and put it in a large bowl or container, use purified/bottled water and change it daily. Meanwhile, get a bottle of beneficial bacteria NOW and start tank cycling. In best scenario, your betta can wait until you have your tank cycled in a few weeks.

Btw, did you have a filter in your tank?
For bacteria, I used Mirobe-Lift NiteOutII, you can use something similar.

Yes I have a clip on filter. Marina SlI'm filter s10, I think that's what it is. I'll go to the pet store today and get a bowl for him. Do you think the filter will be too big to put on a bowl? I know strong currents aren't a favorite for my betta.

Timmy1027
Yes I have a clip on filter. Marina SlI'm filter s10, I think that's what it is. I'll go to the pet store today and get a bowl for him. Do you think the filter will be too big to put on a bowl? I know strong currents aren't a favorite for my betta.

Please re-read my last post, I have updated information in it.
Regarding that quarantine bowl, you don't need a new filter. Just do water changes with purified water daily. 3 days later, you can use Prime-treated tap water.

ch0507449
Please re-read my last post, I have updated information in it.
Regarding that quarantine bowl, you don't need a new filter. Just do water changes with purified water daily. 3 days later, you can use Prime-treated tap water.
Alright thank you for your help, but if he is sick right now what do I do about it?

Algonquin
What size is the tank he is in? Does he have little salt like specks of white on him? if so, that's likely Ich. There are directions for treatment for that on this forum. For Finrot, clean water is the first step. Keep using the Prime daily after partial water changes while your tank cycles. If you feel you need to medicate for Finrot, there are medications that don't adversely affect your beneficial bacteria (ie Kanaplex). Another option is to do daily 15 minute baths with Methylene blue, in a small container. Just make sure the water in there is the same temperature as your tank, which should be around 78-80 degrees. Hopefully that helps! By the way, his colouring is lovely!

Lunnietic
I disagree with putting the betta in a bowl with spring water. The betta is still going to produce ammonia in the bowl or in the tank. Just leave him in the tank. I recommend not doing the meds. Do daily water changes with your water condinter. It does look like he is bloated and may have swim bladder.

I recommend feeding him a Blanche pea that is peeled and smashed. And fasting him for 3 days.

ch0507449
What size is the tank he is in? Does he have little salt like specks of white on him? if so, that's likely Ich. There are directions for treatment for that on this forum. For Finrot, clean water is the first step. Keep using the Prime daily after partial water changes while your tank cycles. If you feel you need to medicate for Finrot, there are medications that don't adversely affect your beneficial bacteria (ie Kanaplex). Another option is to do daily 15 minute baths with Methylene blue, in a small container. Just make sure the water in there is the same temperature as your tank, which should be around 78-80 degrees. Hopefully that helps! By the way, his colouring is lovely!

He is in a 5 gallon right now. Should I keep him in the tank or should I do as Timmy said and move him into another bowl until the tank is clean and cycled? Thank you if you catch him in the morning his fins turn teal.

Algonquin
I agree with Lunnietic, keep him in his tank. Keep the water as clean as possible while the tank is cycling. Don't medicate until it's clear what's wrong with him. It's hard to tell from the pictures.

Also, be aware that moving him out of his tank mid-cycle will remove the ammonia source. Which will mess with your cycle, if he's not in there for days. Keep him in there but keep him safe with Prime daily after doing a water change. Can you try to get some better pictures? You haven't really said what his symptoms are and why you think he is sick? Can you provide some more info?

mattgirl
I agree with those that say leave him where he is. I can see no benefit to moving him from and uncycled tank to an uncycled bowl.

The first line of defense should first and foremost be pristine water. That is accomplished by doing water changes with water conditioned with a water conditioner first. Your tank will cycle as long as you keep your fish in there. It has no choice. Your fish will add the ammonia needed to start the cycle. the ammonia will turn to nitrite and the nitrite will in turn become nitrates. So at this point I wouldn't be worrying about whether or not it is cycled. The most important thing right now is clean water.

Your fish is not feeling well. Keep his water clean and I would be very surprised if he didn't start feeling better very soon. At this point I would be doing daily water changes of at least 30% of the total volume.

Medications should be the very last thing one should do and only then when one knows what the problem is.

ch0507449
Alright I will hold off on the medicine and continue doing daily water changes. Is it harmful to the fish to try and medicate it when it's not sick?

mattgirl
Alright I will hold off on the medicine and continue doing daily water changes. Is it harmful to the fish to try and medicate it when it's not sick?
I think your lil' buddy will thank you for that.

I would have to say yes, it is.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KayBee
Top Bottom