Please Help, Betta Is Bloated, Bottom Of Tank, Not Eating.

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Iggybaziggy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. IggybaziggyNew MemberMember

Calypso has not been eating regularly for a few days now I have noticed.... I have cut back.
    Today I came home and he was inside his floating tunnel, bloated and not moving other then waving a fin. Which is very unlike him as he is always extremely excited to see me :( the only thing I can think of is recently I have added this new silicon plant like anenome but I rinsed it off prior to adding it to the tank... when I moved the floating log calypso Came out and went straight to the bottom of this tank and wasn’t able to come up. So I quickly moved him to a hospital tank with about 2 1/2 inches? of waters roughly. I’ll attach a photo. I’ll put a heating of underneath it. But I don’t know what to do???!!! What happened. :’( I love him so much and I want him to be healthy and happy and he is swimming around the hospital tank now. He had made soooo many bubble nest prior to all of this happening :’( I am just devestated. Is he constipated? Can he get constipated out of no where? He had poop hanging from him last week I had noticed so I didn’t feed him for a couple days.... since then he hasn’t eaten the same. I have tested all the water the ph is 7.8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.

Attached Files:

2. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I really can’t see any of the physical signes you would regularly, like dropsy, fin rot etc. he looks healthy and your water parameters look good, what do you feed him? What size tank is he in?? Does he have a heater?? How long have you had him for?? Are there any other fish in his tank?? Is there strong water flow, or does he have a sponge filter?? Has he had a case like this before??

3. BettaishValued MemberMember

Zero nitrate might mean there is something wrong with your cycle. There should normally be about 5-10 ppm at a given time. Did you cycle the tank before adding him?

4. IggybaziggyNew MemberMember

I’ve had him for a year now, I’m a 3 gallon tank. I have a heater and a filter. There are no other companions. The water flow isn’t strong and he has eating regularly and everything has been fine up uptick this point. He has never had a case like this, I’m concerned that he was just at the bottom of the tank after I moved the log you know? I checked on him this morning and he is still a little bloated I’ll upload a photo from last night and this morning

BB3ADB59-18AB-463E-B645-26EE33249CFC.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I’d feed him little pieces of cut up peas, they help with digestion, and soothe the bloating. It might just be stress, when you completely rearrange a fishes habitat, they tend to stress out, any other symptoms?:)

Any peeled looking scales, or poped looking eyes?? It is kind of hard to tell from the picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2019
  6. IggybaziggyNew MemberMember

7. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Umm....did you mean to do that?? All you did was quote me.:)

8. IggybaziggyNew MemberMember

Okay, that was one thing I was wondering about... maybe the anenome thing was stressing him out a little?.. no I’ve been looking at his scales and it doesn’t look like they have started for dropsy yet. Geez for all I know I could just be an over protective fish mom and it’s nothing and poor boy is in here for no reason then being constpaited. When should I put him back him his regular tank? No signs of eyes popping

No!!! Sorry haha I don’t know how to use this site very well :(

9. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

If you don’t see any physical signes of dropsy, then I would put him back in his tank, just don’t move him to a hospital tank unless you are shure that he has something wrong with him, or ask one of us, moving him to another tank is really stress-ful to a fish. That is good!! If there are no signed of eye-popping, and no signes of peeled scales, I would put him back in his tank!! Will you please send a picture of his hole tank?(I would love to see it!):):)

10. hosekiValued MemberMember

Just saw your post.
    You mentioned that the fish was bloated but don't see any similar symptom from your photo. The only thing I see is that the fin seems to be splitting a bit which in most cases, it is a symptom that you have water issue unless those fins are likely that from day 1. Fin splitting is a very early stage symptom of water issue and if you don't take action, more seriously sign like sitting in the tank bottom, body swollen or even pine cone or fin rot may subsequently occur. I do agree with Bettaish that if all water test done is 0, there may be something wrong. The API test kit for NO3 test requires you to shake the Bottle 2 for 30 sec before use. After you add in 10 drops of bottle 1, you need to shake it and then adding in another 10 drops of Bottle 2 and then shake it for 60 sec. Just make sure you do it as per the instruction.
    How often are you cleaning your filter and doing water change?

11. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

12. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

In order to cure bloat a few things are necessary. A heater, which you have, and pristine water. You might feed him a mashed up pea to help with the bloat, you can also try giving him an epsom salt bath

13. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Your profile says that you don't know what the nitrogen cycle is and that you have an api master test kit. If you don't know what it is I'd advise for you to research up on it as its quite important. I agree with what was said above, invert the test tube with water and drops from nitrate bottle #1 a few times, shake the nitrate bottle #2 for 30 secs before adding the drops and then the test tube for 1 min after adding the drops. Before I did that I would get 0 readings too. Fasting for up to three days and then feeding him a peeled pee can help with bloating and water changes will need to be done to help the fins.

What's the temp of the tank? How often do you do water changes and how much of the water do you replace? How's he doing at the moment?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  14. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Good questions @Feohw, how is he doing now?? Did you move him to his original tank??:):)

That’s what I said!! Although, I thought that you had to cut the peas up, before serving the betta king..........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

I smash mine up into a paste. I feed my bettas peas every sunday just so they don't get bloated

16. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Really?? Do they have to be fresh? Or can they be frozen?

17. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

If I ever feed a betta a pea, I drop it in a cup of tank water to defrost, peel the skin off and then cut off a section the betta can comfortably eat and then feed. I used to feed mashed peas but it was a very messy affair, so I cut instead. Either way should be fine.

18. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Ok!! I thought you had to cut them!!:):)

19. IggybaziggyNew MemberMember

161A3E33-69FF-4BB4-876B-0D00DA492F0D.jpeg I moved him back to his original tank. I did a 25% water change and I also removed the silicone anenome fixture I think was causing him much stress. :( Now... he seems like he is fine.. he is swimming around and checking things out seems to be his to being his active go lucky self again. I will attach a photo of the tank set up, the tint to the water is due to tannins from catappa leaves. Our tap water naturally has very high ph levels. Ideally I would have some live plant so he can hide more in there but I known nothing about them and I’m afraid to introduce anything new to his tank especially now considering how he handles stress.

20. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Good!! Like I said, it just might have been stress. I have bought orimenst for many bettas,a nd some of them literally would go near it!!