PLEASE HELP! Betta fin shrinking despite water changes!! Help

1. jvnch Initiate Member

Hi,

I got my betta fish a month ago from a normal pet store and I noticed that his fins werent the usual size and density. Some parts of his fins are transparent with frayed ends and are smaller than usual plus he came with an almond leave which i didnt think much of at first. Now i'm super worried... since then i noticed a total of 7 pin holes in his fins of which only 2 remain and the rest have been covered up. I was relieved when those holes were covered but i noticed his fins were shrinking as some parts were missing the next morning..

betta: halfmoon
    Tank size: 7 gallons
    Filter: yes
    heater: no (live in tropical country)
    Aquatic plant: 1 java fern (with driftwood attached)
    fish house: 1 barrel
    gravel: stones
    meal times: one or two granules throughout the day and sometimes a few freeze dried blood worms. no feeding at night

I do 50% water change every 4 days and 100% water change along with tank cleaning on the next 4th day and the cycle repeats. I have added aquarium salt and betta essence (consisting of black water extract etc). I have bought a super external bacteria & fungus away and am considering to use it the next water change but I am afraid it may not be fin rot? Dont wanna dose my fish with unnecessary medications :/ I am wondering if it could be the sharpedges around his home the barrel or the driftwood that the java fern is attached to? please help..

Despite all these, he has been a really super active fish from start and always darting around especially when he sees me he'll come to the top of the tank looking for food and has been building bubble nest several times as well... i am really worried and puzzled and i dont know what to do.. please advise!!

2. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Couple questions/advice first:

Food: How big are the granules? My betta gets 4-6 1mm granules a day. And i would avoid the freeze dried bloodworms, they can cause constipation.

Tank: Is it cycled? Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Do you know the water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates?

Decor: Get a pantyhose (clean) run it around the barrel and see of it catches. He may be ripping his fins on that or the driftwood.

Betta: Can you take a picture for us? Easiest way to get a full shot would be to put up a mirror or something reflective like a cd (i use a dvd, and just hang it with a strip of tape) on one side of the glass, and catch a pic when he flares.

It sounds like it could be finrot but usually theres some redness involved. If we could see a picture it would help alot :)

3. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

A picture would help.

Decorations do commonly damage betta fins. There is no way to know without actually seeing it happen, but I would use a file to remove any rough spots on the driftwood or barrel. Or remove the items from the tank if this isn't possible. I would also make sure he isn't getting caught in the filter intake.

I typically treat bettas with torn fins with aquarium salt, just once, than revert back to clear water the next water change. I typically only use antibiotics if the betta continues to get worse after the salt treatment, which rarely occurs.

4. jvnch Initiate Member

Hi thanks for the reply

food: about the size

tank: i have read online about the nitrogen cycle and i think my tank is cycled but please correct me if i'm wrong

Picture1.png

5. jvnch Initiate Member

hi thanks for the reply

i have used salt for this water change but he has been getting pinholes ever since which have been covered up as well.. and i havent seen him hurting himself due to the decos as well :/

6. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

The way to tell is you will need a test kit, or to take a sample of the water to your pet store. When your tank cycles, your ammonia reading will be 0, nitrites will be 0, and nitrates will have a reading above 0. They should be kept under 20ppm. If his food is the small 1mm pellets, you can give him more than you are now. Like i said i give 2-3 pellets twice a day. He will also appreciate frozen bloodworm from time to time. :) as for fins ill let the experts answer. They do look a bit ragged though :-(

7. Clement Chee Initiate Member

I used to have the same problem. My betta's fins were shrinking and a breeder told me that the more it flares, the more it will go back to its original shape. By 'more' I mean three times a day and I placed a mirror in front of the betta so that it flares when he sees himself. A few days later, the shape got better, even though it didn't go back to the original shape. Not sure if this will work?