Please help betta disease question!

sapphirebetta
waterway (my betta) is my first betta and I'm afraid I might lose him he has I think a fungus under one of his eyes (a white cotton like spot) hes had it ever since 2 weeks after I got him from the grocery store I found him at I'm mainly worried because I went on vacation (got back today) the vacation was 2 days long when I told him goodnight today I saw what looked like he was missing scales ALL OVER HIS FACE!!!! it is red and bloody where the scales r missing his gill covers are also red and that red something (might be his gills covers XD) are coming out his gills when he breathes he also floats backwards alot. he has also had protozoan velvet. oh! by the way ive had water way for about a month and a half or two months.

I couldent get very much detail because I had to get close up to get his picture so any movement blurs the picture so I could get was he face cuz otherwise his fins blur the pic.

shellbell4ever
Aww I'm sorry to hear about waterway
What are your parimiters?Is there anything sharp or rough in the tank?A pic might help if you can.I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.hang in there!

Lucy
HI sapphirebetta if I haven't said it before, welcome to the forum.

Poor little Waterway, you must be so worried.

Is your aquarium information correct? It sounds like he has a few things going on.
I would start by changing out his water, red gills are usually a sign of ammonia poisoning. With a bowl that size, you should really be doing water changes everyday.

If you think it's a fungus, you could treat him with Rid-Fungus, but the dosage would be hard to get right in 1/2g. You can also add a drop for 2 of garlic juice into his water to boost his immune system.
If you can get Fish Protector and Vita-Chem, they would help too, but again, the dosage would be hard to judge.

Waterway needs to be in a heated filtered tank. See if you can get him into a 5 gallon as soon as possible. He needs clean warm water.

Can you post a picture of him? It would help everyone figure out what's wrong.

sapphirebetta
Aww I'm sorry to hear about waterway
What are your parimiters?Is there anything sharp or rough in the tank?A pic might help if you can.I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.hang in there!
no but the buttom of his plants (fake plants) are a little bumpy and he digs his face in the rocks (not gravel) in his tank I noticed that today and yea I can upload a pic....when I find my camera XD

sapphirebetta
how do I post a pic?

HI sapphirebetta if I haven't said it before, welcome to the forum.

Poor little Waterway, you must be so worried.

Is your aquarium information correct? It sounds like he has a few things going on.
I would start by changing out his water, red gills are usually a sign of ammonia poisoning. With a bowl that size, you should really be doing water changes everyday.

If you think it's a fungus, you could treat him with Rid-Fungus, but the dosage would be hard to get right in 1/2g. You can also add a drop for 2 of garlic juice into his water to boost his immune system.
If you can get Fish Protector and Vita-Chem, they would help too, but again, the dosage would be hard to judge.

Waterway needs to be in a heated filtered tank. See if you can get him into a 5 gallon as soon as possible. He needs clean warm water.

Can you post a picture of him? It would help everyone figure out what's wrong.
I was thinking about getting a two gallon or three gallon is that ok? p.s. how do I post a pic?

MinxMermaid
in your reply post, hit the little paper clip icon on the top.
browse your hard drive for the pic and attach.

MinxMermaid
see the attached link for fish diseases.

scroll down to the bottom for symptoms and see if you can diagnose what's wrong with him.

good luck!!

Fish Disease

sapphirebetta
betta pics

its a bad pick cuz all I could get is the top of his head ands it looks like his head is naturally red and brown the one where his head is black is the way he usually looks.

Devon
Hello Mai!
As Lucy said, Waterway could very likely just be suffering the effects of ammonia poisoning. This can be alleviated with a water change. I am assuming with that tank size that he is just in a small bowl with no filter? You said he had velvet at some point; does he still have it? How did you/are you treating it?
I will also strongly recommend that you get him in to a bigger tank, especially if you have any other critters with him at all (like your snails). Bettas need at least 5 gallons of clean, filtered, and heated water (around 80F) to be happy and healthy. It is an easy and fun thing to set up, and by giving him this you will greatly extend his lifespan and make his time with you much happier and more enjoyable for you both.
Good luck with your boy, I hope he feels better soon.

sapphirebetta
Hello Mai!
As Lucy said, Waterway could very likely just be suffering the effects of ammonia poisoning. This can be alleviated with a water change. I am assuming with that tank size that he is just in a small bowl with no filter? You said he had velvet at some point; does he still have it? How did you/are you treating it?
I will also strongly recommend that you get him in to a bigger tank, especially if you have any other critters with him at all (like your snails). Bettas need at least 5 gallons of clean, filtered, and heated water (around 80F) to be happy and healthy. It is an easy and fun thing to set up, and by giving him this you will greatly extend his lifespan and make his time with you much happier and more enjoyable for you both.
Good luck with your boy, I hope he feels better soon.
no he does not still have velvet and I treated it with maracide

sapphirebetta
no he does not still have velvet and I treated it with maracide
I wish I could get a bigger tank (I would too)! but is there any other way to make him happy because my parents (I'm still a teenager 15 years old to be exact) and my parents said "no its just a fish."

Fishies-for-me
Maybe you can ask for a bigger tank for your next birthday or ask Mom and Dad if you can do extra chores for it. If they see that you are willing to work for it maaybe they will let you?

sapphirebetta
Maybe you can ask for a bigger tank for your next birthday or ask Mom and Dad if you can do extra chores for it. If they see that you are willing to work for it maaybe they will let you?

thanks 4 the advice ! my birthday is coming up soon to XD

chickadee
Until you get him at least a 3 gallon tank he needs at least half of his water changed every day with water that has been treated with a dechlorinator like Prime (1 drop per gallon) or Amquel+ that help to neutralize ammonia and nitrites. If possible get a packet of Jungle Labs Fungus Clear Buddies. They are fizzy tablets and you will need to break them up into small pieces and use just a tiny piece like 1/10 part of one or approximately that much in the bowl every other day since you are doing daily water changes for 4 times. This will help to get rid of the cottony substance. If the piece is a tiny bit bigger than a 1/10th part do not worry overmuch as it will not kill the betta but it should not be big as a 1/4th part or any where near that. The reason I say to use these is because they do not need heated or filtered tanks to work but you need to keep this little guy where he will be where it is about 80 degrees in temperature. If your room is 80 degrees then you may not need a heater in your tank right away but if you keep it cooler than that then when you get your 3 gallon tank even if you cannot get anything else you must get a 25 watt heater. I will tell you that the cheapest tank you can get will be a 5 gallon tank from Walmart if you have one near you or if you can get one of these it will do nicely.

Those are cheaper than tanks and work just as well. One of my bettas is still in the Jumbo one at the bottom of that list and doing very well. He likes it there. It is nearly 10 gallons and gives him a lot of room to play and is yet a lot cheaper than a 10 gallon kit. It will need a filter and heater and later when you are ready a light. They can be relatively inexpensive. A sponge filter is the cheapest but I would go with the better filter of a HOB filter to begin with and then you will be able to do the filtration without taking up room from your tank. It is not that much more and an Rapids Filter would work nicely.

You will need to do some cutting of the cover to make a hole for the filter to fit but it will make a nice little filter and be economical and easy to care for.

The best heater and the one least likely to cause you problems and the one with a lifetime warranty is the following.

This one is for the Jumbo size tank but the following is for the smaller tank
This is for a smaller tank from 3 to 8 gallons.

That pretty much covers it. I know this seems like a lot, but in order to keep your little guy happy and healthy it is pretty much the minimum requirements. If you want to get a tank there are some tanks that run about $10 to $15 more that include the light and filter so they may be a bigger bargain but it is up to you.

Rose

sapphirebetta
Until you get him at least a 3 gallon tank he needs at least half of his water changed every day with water that has been treated with a dechlorinator like Prime (1 drop per gallon) or Amquel+ that help to neutralize ammonia and nitrites. If possible get a packet of Jungle Labs Fungus Clear Buddies. They are fizzy tablets and you will need to break them up into small pieces and use just a tiny piece like 1/10 part of one or approximately that much in the bowl every other day since you are doing daily water changes for 4 times. This will help to get rid of the cottony substance. If the piece is a tiny bit bigger than a 1/10th part do not worry overmuch as it will not kill the betta but it should not be big as a 1/4th part or any where near that. The reason I say to use these is because they do not need heated or filtered tanks to work but you need to keep this little guy where he will be where it is about 80 degrees in temperature. If your room is 80 degrees then you may not need a heater in your tank right away but if you keep it cooler than that then when you get your 3 gallon tank even if you cannot get anything else you must get a 25 watt heater. I will tell you that the cheapest tank you can get will be a 5 gallon tank from Walmart if you have one near you or if you can get one of these it will do nicely.

Those are cheaper than tanks and work just as well. One of my bettas is still in the Jumbo one at the bottom of that list and doing very well. He likes it there. It is nearly 10 gallons and gives him a lot of room to play and is yet a lot cheaper than a 10 gallon kit. It will need a filter and heater and later when you are ready a light. They can be relatively inexpensive. A sponge filter is the cheapest but I would go with the better filter of a HOB filter to begin with and then you will be able to do the filtration without taking up room from your tank. It is not that much more and an Rapids Filter would work nicely.

You will need to do some cutting of the cover to make a hole for the filter to fit but it will make a nice little filter and be economical and easy to care for.

The best heater and the one least likely to cause you problems and the one with a lifetime warranty is the following.

This one is for the Jumbo size tank but the following is for the smaller tank
This is for a smaller tank from 3 to 8 gallons.

That pretty much covers it. I know this seems like a lot, but in order to keep your little guy happy and healthy it is pretty much the minimum requirements. If you want to get a tank there are some tanks that run about $10 to $15 more that include the light and filter so they may be a bigger bargain but it is up to you.

Rose
Thank u so much!!! especially for the medicine recommendation I just got some today and then realized how BIG the tablets are XD so that info is greatly appreciated lol!

Devon
Mai, I would take a look at craigslist and try to find someone in your area that is looking to get rid of or sell a 3-5 gallon tank for cheap. If you're not familiar with Craigslist, it is basically an online bulletin board where people can post all kinds of things for sale. Maybe if you explain to your parents that even though he is "just a fish", there is still a certain amount of care and responsibility involved in keeping it, hopefully they will be a little more accepting. The birthday present idea is a good one. Good luck!

COBettaCouple
How is Waterway doing?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Top Bottom