5 Gallon Tank Please help, badly damaged beta :(

MSmalls

I think it might be too late for my buddy Zen but any advice would be so appreciated. I went on a trip last weekend and I couldn’t see him anywhere, figured he was sleeping somewhere. Come to today and I still couldn’t find him nor did I see him for a few days after I came back from my trip. Got super worried and looked under the aquarium decorations to find Zen stuck inside of one and beaten up super bad. I eventually got him out and I don’t know if I should say my goodbyes or try to help him. It seemed to have scraped him up so bad on the top :(. I heard scales grow back but idk if they will this bad. He breathes and moves around but for now he’s lying down. I moved him into a clean container so no infections could come from his usual tank. Please help ..
I’m sad/afraid it’s too late Zen is such a good fish ..

Attachments

• E5D7E2C7-ABDD-48D4-939C-050C922E37CC.jpeg
    E5D7E2C7-ABDD-48D4-939C-050C922E37CC.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 9F86C8E3-9368-4258-96A8-733DE3A2E1A1.jpeg
    9F86C8E3-9368-4258-96A8-733DE3A2E1A1.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 53

Cecicorycats

I’m so sorry poor Zen, I would say adding some aquarium salt and keep the water clean as possible? I’ve only become a really dedicated fish owner in recent years so I’m pretty much a newbie, but I have had many many bettas through the years. I don’t know how your situation will turn out and I can’t give you solid step by step advice on what to do but I can tell you one thing, bettas are tough. When I was younger I had one of those little three tank waterfall betta kit things, (which I know now was probably awful and definitely too small but I was 11 at the time and didn’t know any better) and there was a horrible incident. My mom had left the lid off of the tanks before we left the house for a school function and all three bettas had flowed into the bottom tank. It was a mess of torn off fins and even worse, there were only two bettas in the tank, Iron Man the fish was nowhere in sight and I cried and cried. Two weeks later Batman and Spider-Man were both recovering well and my grandma was cleaning out the filter when she screamed, Iron Man flopped out from a compartment under the tanks very much alive! He had been sucked under there and stuck for two weeks without light or food and barely any water, but he was alive! He was scraped up a bit, his fins were tattered, and he had ammonia burns on his gills but he was alive and continued to stay that way for a long time. Spider-Man and Batman lived for another year and a half while Iron Man lived 3 more years after making a full recovery (except for his gills which never fully healed but it didn’t seem to bother him much) and sadly passed from a large cancerous tumor but he lived a long and mostly healthy life despite his traumatic injuries. Hold on to hope and treat Zen’s injuries best you can and he might make it, you never know. Wishing you luck and Zen a safe recovery.

DoubleDutch

I'd say : Please put it out of its missery

Ouse

Welcome to Fishlore.

You’ve given a lot of information, although not all of the needed information. Please fill out the emergency template here.

MSmalls

I’m so sorry poor Zen, I would say adding some aquarium salt and keep the water clean as possible? I’ve only become a really dedicated fish owner in recent years so I’m pretty much a newbie, but I have had many many bettas through the years. I don’t know how your situation will turn out and I can’t give you solid step by step advice on what to do but I can tell you one thing, bettas are tough. When I was younger I had one of those little three tank waterfall betta kit things, (which I know now was probably awful and definitely too small but I was 11 at the time and didn’t know any better) and there was a horrible incident. My mom had left the lid off of the tanks before we left the house for a school function and all three bettas had flowed into the bottom tank. It was a mess of torn off fins and even worse, there were only two bettas in the tank, Iron Man the fish was nowhere in sight and I cried and cried. Two weeks later Batman and Spider-Man were both recovering well and my grandma was cleaning out the filter when she screamed, Iron Man flopped out from a compartment under the tanks very much alive! He had been sucked under there and stuck for two weeks without light or food and barely any water, but he was alive! He was scraped up a bit, his fins were tattered, and he had ammonia burns on his gills but he was alive and continued to stay that way for a long time. Spider-Man and Batman lived for another year and a half while Iron Man lived 3 more years after making a full recovery (except for his gills which never fully healed but it didn’t seem to bother him much) and sadly passed from a large cancerous tumor but he lived a long and mostly healthy life despite his traumatic injuries. Hold on to hope and treat Zen’s injuries best you can and he might make it, you never know. Wishing you luck and Zen a safe recovery.
Thank you so much . What an incredible story about iron man though! Wow.

Ouse

That’s an interesting story and is quite fascinating, however it relates very little with the OP’s situation. I have to disagree that bettas are tough, hardy fish in general. I don’t think the OP’s betta is going to pull through in this way either, sorry.

MSmalls

That’s an interesting story and is quite fascinating, however it relates very little with the OP’s situation. I have to disagree that bettas are tough, hardy fish in general. I don’t think the OP’s betta is going to pull through in this way either, sorry.

MSmalls, please use the emergency template, otherwise it’ll be close to impossible to know why this happened and what to do:

Aquatic Emergency Template | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 376562

Copy and paste it here and fill it out for us.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gal
How long has the tank been running? N/A, a while
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? N/A
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) my one beta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every week
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Ph drops
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? No

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite: Genuinely I don’t know for this section. I’m sorry.
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Every day
How much do you feed your fish? Pinch of food
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Do you feed frozen? No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? Sometimes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? About 6 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Scales/skin seems stripped off of him.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No, I moved him to a fresh clean container for new water.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Chunk of skin missing on top of body near top fin. Side abrasion on his left side, scales missing

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Zen got himself stuck in a hole inside of this flower decoration I have for him. I had to break it for him to get out. After getting him out I noticed the chunk of skin missing on top and side scrape with scales missing. He breathes, he moves, swims even but not normally. Sideways or upside down I noticed once or twice. I feel like it’s over for him but I have people saying hold out hope.. idk if this information helps.

Ouse

Honestly, I think it’s over for him too, as much as it pains to say it. The picture shows what looks like a fungal infection on the wounded area.

What are “pH drops?”

Oh, and there’s no need to apologise for not knowing things. The water parameters are important to know, so you might look into getting a test kit and thermometer if you want to continue keeping fish.

MSmalls

It p
Honestly, I think it’s over for him too, as much as it pains to say it. The picture shows what looks like a fungal infection on the wounded area.

What are “pH drops?”

Oh, and there’s no need to apologise for not knowing things. The water parameters are important to know, so you might look into getting a test kit and thermometer if you want to continue keeping fish
It pains me so much to even look at him right now.. I think I need to say my goodbyes to my fish friend. I guess it’s not ph drops but they are drops to help level out your tanks ph level. Clearly I need to do more research going forward if I want to have another beta or fish. Thank you for your help during this difficult time. I can’t believe he scraped himself up like that

Ouse

Never use pH altering chemicals in aquariums. I have to think chasing a certain pH level is helping to kill him. The title “pH drop” suggests it lowers the pH. The effects are only temporary with pH altering chemicals, and the constant changing of pH is very harmful to fish. A stable pH is best. Knowing the pH is also great.

Just use a dechlorinator on any new water if your tap water has chlorides in it, no need for the pH chemicals. Your water provider’s website should tell you if there’s chlorides in your tap water or not.

This site has all the needed information. Good luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
evonner
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views
n4dia
Replies
Views