Please help asap! Red spot!

fishpersonallday

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My goldfish has acted strange all her life. Showing minor signs of swim bladder before but they went away. They randomly popped up yesterday again and they are super bad and have never been this way. She is constantly upside down. Then today I noticed a red spot near her bottom fins.

Does anyone know what this is/what to do?

She is sooooo important to me. :(

Extra: She is a telescope butterfly goldfish. No other fish have this mark or have ever been sick. Tank is clean. Readings look good.
9515EC75-B049-4C82-8E78-C7F2EC2C2257.jpeg

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
fishpersonallday said:
My goldfish has acted strange all her life. Showing minor signs of swim bladder before but they went away. They randomly popped up yesterday again and they are super bad and have never been this way. She is constantly upside down. Then today I noticed a red spot near her bottom fins.

Does anyone know what this is/what to do?

She is sooooo important to me. :(

Extra: She is a telescope butterfly goldfish. No other fish have this mark or have ever been sick. Tank is clean. Readings look good.
9515EC75-B049-4C82-8E78-C7F2EC2C2257.jpeg
That doesn't look too great :(
Water parameters? What size is your tank? When last did you do a water change? (sorry for all these questions)
I would recommend doing a wc and see if anything improves!
Good luck!

OP
F

fishpersonallday

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don’t remember the water parameters but I remember I didn’t freak out so it couldn’t have been bad.
I did a water change last about 11 days ago.
40 gallons.

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
fishpersonallday said:
I don’t remember the water parameters but I remember I didn’t freak out so it couldn’t have been bad.
I did a water change last about 11 days ago.
40 gallons.
I would test everything again and do a water change as most fish illnesses are caused by poor water quality!

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
fishpersonallday said:
Okay I will get back to you after that.
Good idea, because chances are the red spot is either an ammonia or nitrite burn, or nitrite poisoning! The fact that's it's swimming upside down could very well be because it has swim bladder... What food and how often are you feeding it? Also, how many fish do you have in your 40Gal? (sorry if I'm pestering you!)
Hope a wc helps even the slightest bit!

NevermindIgnoreMe

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It looks like an ulcer to me, I would do a waterchange for sure asap, and do a hydrogen peroxide swipe. For feeding I recommend a high quality pellet or gel food diet, with softened spinach available for them to snack on whenever.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom