Please Help!! ASAP!!!! Don't know what to do. : / Is it too late?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi. I woke up this morning to find all my 6 of my danios chasing another of the danios while the one other was swimming near the bottom of the tank. I've always thought that I've got 2 feamales and 6 males of the danios, but now Im deffinately sure. Two of the danios (the feamales) have been getting quite fat over the past few weeks, but I havent thought much of it. This morning while watching them chase one of the feamals I noticed the female was letting out about 20 little bubbles every now and again. Are these eggs?

The other danios and neons were eating them. This was at about 9:30am. It's now 10:55am.  They are still chasing her but she isn't letting any more eggs out, and she seems to be getting stressed. What can I do? Do you think any have survived?

She is still very fat, but has stopped letting them out. Will she start letting more out later?
What about the other female? She's getting fat too, but not as fat as the other. Will she be doing the same soon?

Please help asap thanks

Gwenz
  ???

P.S. - I have a Q tank, but it isn't set up, so not cycled. :-\

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Plz, any ideas? :-[ :-\

??? ??? ??? ???

Thanks

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just to say, the tank levels are:

Ammonia - 0
NitrAte - 40
NitrIte - 0
PH - 6.0

I know NitrAte is high, need to do a water change, but don't want to if there are eggs in the gravel. What do you suggest?
And PH has always been around that level don't know why,because in other tank it's 7.0, but don't want to change it because they have acclimatized to it.

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do not know what to tell you as I do not know much about danios. I would say that perhaps she needs to go into a q tank but do you have one? If so I would put her in there as soon as you can and keep her there for a few days and see if she puts out anything else. As far as if there are eggs or what, I am no expert on this so I hope that maybe one of the mods or someone who has had a spawning take place will come on and be able to identify what may have happened.

It sounds like they may have been following trying to eat the eggs if that is what they are.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gwenz I'm so sorry i missed this post! Yes she was laying eggs and no probably none of them survived. Just about the only way to have danio eggs survive is with a substrate of marbles. The eggs fall down between them and the fish (including mom and dad) can't get to them to eat them. If they are still chasing her harder than usual and she seems stressed I would give her some time out in the "Q" tank and keep an eye on her.
My females stay big fat looking I think they are just bigger and chunkier than the males. Keep us posted.
Carol

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks.

I have a Q tank, but it isn't set up and so isn't cycled.

She is still being chased, a little more than usual, but she is hiding in the plants most of the time and isn't being chased so much when she is hiding.

I realy need to set up my Q tank.  :-\ It probably won't be done until after christmas now, then I'm going away for new year, so probably won't happen until after then.  :-\

Will she be ok?

What about the other feamale? She is being chased a lot as well. How can I tell if she's carrying eggs?

Just out of intrest, is it hard to raise danios? How often do they lay eggs? Will it happen again?

Thanks for your help.

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What do you think?

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do not know what to tell you other than you need to get that Q tank up and running and then put a substrate of marbles in it if you want to raise the fry or remove her after she lays the eggs. I do not know how to tell if she is going to lay eggs but I am betting the other fish do and that is why they are chasing her. So I maybe would say that this is a yes. I guess you would know by watching the behavior of the other fish and when they start to act this way, you know you have one that is going to drop some eggs. It sounds like the parents (both of them) have to be removed from the breeding tank as soon as the eggs are layed or the eggs (or most of them) never make it.

Sorry, I am just not good with many fish but the ones I really have under my roof and I still need help with a few of those.

Rose

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help.

The Q tank is being set up soon.

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom