Please help ASAP! D:

1. Fish'd

Fish'd Valued Member Member

Chips the Kuhli Loach was just found at the bottom of my tank. My new Panda Cory died after about 24 hours. My other Panda's barbels seem to be wearing nearly clean off of his face.

Just now, I realized my Aqua-tech filter is about 3 MONTHS OLD. I've been rinsing it and putting it back in. It looks kinda filthy, now. Is this why? What do I do? I don't want to destroy the cycle, and their filter is off right now. Pet store closes in about 2 hours. Please give me detailed instructions! I don't want to lose my babies to my own stupidity...

Thanks in advance!

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im sorry for the loss of your cory and your loach:( turn the filter back on ....even if it is filthy they need it..you can do a water change and rinse the filter media in the removed tank water to clean it......whats your readings right now for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?and what test kit do you have? whats the ph of your tank?

your tank is very overstocked and sounds like maybe ammonia/nitrites snuck up on you :(

3. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

....Overstocked? D:

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 137%.
    Recommended water change schedule: 20% per week.
    Your aquarium stocking level is 79%

It can't be that far off, can it?

I did a 40-50% water change as soon as I found the little guy turned on his side.... let me fix the filter. What else? D:

I got to the pet store to have my water tested- I'm actually leaving now. They use the API test tubes, I believe.

4. Shawnie

im not sure where you got your info , but it really is overstocked..

3 loaches at 3-4 inches each
    4 panda cories 2-3 inches each
    and both are bottom dwellers for the most part...so there isnt much space in a 10g tank for them to all live....

do you know your readings as of right now for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates and your ph?

5. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

Aqadvisor. I know it's a little inaccurate, but not by THAT much. I feel so terrible now. D;

Pandas are only supposed to get to 2 inches, I think. The loaches usually take shelter behind a rock and swim at the bottom/middle at night.

I'm leaving to find out now. Thanks, btw.

6. Shawnie

never rely on one particular site for research.....I hope things look up! and again, testing your water is best...do you have a test kit?

7. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

I usually look for tank size on several sites, and then hit AqAvisor to see if it agrees. Guess that didn't work this time. :\

They said I have a little bit of ammonia. The tube was a slight yellow- you were right. That's nothing a few drops of Prime and an extra water % change can't fix though, right?

I went to Wal-mart and bought new filters. There's algae everywhere in the tank, and there's constantly bits of stuff floating around, so I figured I'd change it.

I got to thinking, and I remember that the Aqua-tech comes with a plastic flossy bio square that's not to be removed, and thought maybe the bacteria would stick to that. Is it ok if I just change the filter?

8. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Kuhlis are very sensitive to water parameters and so should be added to an established tank. They should also be kept in groups(which your doing) as they are social fish.

I suggest your rinse the filte rmedia in used tank water then if you want to change filter pads add it to the filter along with the old one for at least a week before removing the old pad.

I do agree the tank is a bit overstocked. Kuhlis get to 4inches, panda corys get to 2 inches. You can't always use the inch per gallon rule. You have to figure whether the fish all occupy the same area of the tank, their mass and how much waste they produce. there's so much to figure out that it takes more than a program to suggest a stocking limit.
    Kuhlis and corys basically occupy/sleep/hide n the same area and they need lots of places so they can do this.

If you don't have a testing kit I suggest aquarium pharmaceuticals master freshwater test kit. It's the most accurate test that I've found. Strips are very inaccurate.
    Keep us posted.
    Carol

9. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

I forgot about that. I recently got a job, and I'm waiting to buy an API Kit. :3

There was an awful long lapse between responses, and the filter stalled again; my fish were sitting there, pumping their gills incredibly fast so in a panic I put a new pad in. The filter is running smoothly now. I think the bio floss will make it ok; if not, I have Prime on hand should anything go wrong. I'm just kind of mad I undid my cycle. :\

I don't like the inch per gallon rule- that's why I really on aqadvisor and other people, but information can get so conflicting and confusing sometimes. D:
    I promise to research more.

I'm not very good at fish keeping, in case you haven't noticed. But, hey- I know where I messed up.

Are the two loaches going to be okay by themselves?

Thank you all so much. <333

10. Butterfly

Don't beat yourself up over this, just learn from it :) I wouldn't recommend adding any fish right now so lets get the tank straight first.
    The loaches will be ok they are just more active when in a group.
    Carol

11. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

Will do. :3

I moving a block or two soon, and I plan on upgrading to a 20 gallon. They should be happier in there, I think. <3

Thanks again!

12. Butterfly

When you upgrade adding to the kuhli group would be a good idea :)
    good Luck!
    Carol

13. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member