Please Help! Alien In Tank! No Clue What It Is.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score

I have a longer vide, if needed. This thing looks like it has gills at front end, but not sure. None of the fish in there are mature enough to have fry yet. Is it a parasite/larvae?

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you give a little description? I don't think your link is working - youtube usually embeds well here.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
Here is a longer version. The thing itself is really tiny, so I got very close with cam. Any thoughts on its origin are welcome.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like a mosquito larvae or a nymph of some kind. It also seems to be hung up on something. My vote is kill it with fire. If it's a mosquito, obviously...but even if it's something cool like a dragonfly it's bad news for your tank.
Also that is a lot of ramshorns lol!!

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, definitely looks like some sort of insect larvae, too big to be mosquito I think, more likely damsel or dragon fly.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
It looks like a mosquito larvae or a nymph of some kind. It also seems to be hung up on something. My vote is kill it with fire. If it's a mosquito, obviously...but even if it's something cool like a dragonfly it's bad news for your tank.
Also that is a lot of ramshorns lol!!
:emoji_loudspeaker:Thanks for your response, MagiciPenny75. I've seen mosquito larvae frequently in the outdoor ponds and this didn't look like that to me. Why are dragonflies bad? This is the only indoor tank I have and it was outside until I got the shrimp last week (new water and cleaned tank, tho).
For the record, that's only the BLUE leopard ramshorns from all the ponds. I have them sequestered for breeding purposes. I put a few pinks in there in hopes of making a purple line, just for funsies.
:emoji_arrow_right:All the snails do , all of them, is eat, shag, potty, lay eggs, repeat. I'm totes envious. :D
I was lucky enough to get the few bladder snails and MTS free from the LFS with my other purchases bc they see them as pests. They only sell mystery snails.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why are dragonflies bad?
I don't think they're bad at all, in their adult form they're strikingly beautiful but their larvae are predators & will take small fish & shrimp, see if you can get a close up look at it, does it have a mean set of jaws?

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
:emoji_loudspeaker:Thanks for your response, MagiciPenny75. I've seen mosquito larvae frequently in the outdoor ponds and this didn't look like that to me. Why are dragonflies bad? This is the only indoor tank I have and it was outside until I got the shrimp last week (new water and cleaned tank, tho).
For the record, that's only the BLUE leopard ramshorns from all the ponds. I have them sequestered for breeding purposes. I put a few pinks in there in hopes of making a purple line, just for funsies.
:emoji_arrow_right:All the snails do , all of them, is eat, shag, potty, lay eggs, repeat. I'm totes envious. :D
I was lucky enough to get the few bladder snails and MTS free from the LFS with my other purchases bc they see them as pests. They only sell mystery snails.
Dragonfly and damselfly nymphs are rather serious predators for their size and will attack your fry, shrimplets and perhaps even small fish or adult shrimp. Cool if you want more dragonflies in your surroundings but terrible if you care about keeping the things that are on their menu.
GettyImages-123521906-588e73585f9b5874ee5e7f38.jpg

Edit: before a total panic, they eat things up to their own size, so until the one in your tank grows your tank inhabitants are safe. You have time to get it out.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great responses! I'm good with aliens, just not with ones that don't have leave to be aboard my star ship. :emoji_vulcan:

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've seen them take large tadpoles in my pond, they're mean little critters especially the dragonflies, damselflies aren't quite as nasty.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I saw what looks like a fly pupa trying to wriggle free from a thread of silk or slime on which it was trapped. The pupa would need to reach the surface in order for the fly to hatch.

I did not see movements consistent with dragonfly or damselfly nymphs.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw what looks like a fly pupa trying to wriggle free from a thread of silk or slime on which it was trapped. The pupa would need to reach the surface in order for the fly to hatch.

You know, you may be on to something. It doesn't appear to have tail 'blades' either like dragon/damsel nymphs do. Hmmm. I don't think maggots can survive completely submerged in water for long though.

LMO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Agree with Redshark1 - the shape and movements remind me of moth pupae I used to find in the garden so could be some kind of pupa. Could you take it out of the tank and get a close up photo?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom