Please help: Algae and plant problems!

ihernandezball
Hello everyone. I'm coming to this forum because I'm not really sure what to do with my freshwater tank. Currently I have a 36 gallon bowfront tank and have had it for almost a year now. I have 1 angelfish and 2 blue ram cichlids. I started fighting brown algae a few months into having the tank and have always just used a cloth or scrubber to just clean it off when I would do a water change and clean the substrate (CaribSea Eco-Complete) with a water siphon. Eventually the algae started getting worse and would occur more frequent and It would cover the leaves of my plants causing them to die. I have considered an algae eater and have had my eyes on the otocinclus (dwarf suckers) algae eaters since I have seen them before in a local pet-smart, but ever since I have been wanting to buy them I haven't been able to find them for months. I had only considered these algae eater since they are small and I didn't know of any small algae eater fish that would be good fit for my tank and would also do a good job cleaning algae from tank walls and plants. In the mean time of waiting to find them I resorted to Api algaefix to try and get rid of the algae, but it seemed like it was working for a while, but now the algae has come back thicker and reddish-dark brown almost like a dark burgundy color and it is like a gunk at the top layer of the substrate that almost seems to stick together. Also any new plants that I put in seem to just die regardless. I have checked the water parameters and everything seems fine. I would really appreciate some help because I have no idea what to do and my tank looks atrocious. Please help and thank you for your time. The pictures attached are what the algae looks like now.

Attachments

• Algae Problem 1.jpg
    Algae Problem 1.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 30
  • Algae Problem 2.jpg
    Algae Problem 2.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Algae problem 3.jpg
    Algae problem 3.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Algae problem 4.jpg
    Algae problem 4.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Algae Problem 5.jpg
    Algae Problem 5.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Algae problem 6.jpg
    Algae problem 6.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 28
Advertisement
Mouska
I’ve never seen algae like that before. What helped get rid of my hair algae was getting a garra which are really cool fish, but they didn’t help too much but they’re cool anyways. Then I dosed liquid CO2 which has mixed opinions but it destroyed any algae in my tank in a week, and my plants are really healthy. You could also get some fast growing plants to take out excess nutrients, some food plants for this are hornwort, duckweed, and wisteria.

StarGirl
When was the last time and how often do you do water changes? How much? That would be a good start.

Advertisement
ihernandezball
When was the last time and how often do you do water changes? How much? That would be a good start.
I do water changes about every two weeks.

Mouska
ihernandezball
Bettatakeover
Shrimp and/or nirite snails are good algae eaters. Amano shrimp especially and they are big so the angels might not eat them

ihernandezball
I’ve never seen algae like that before. What helped get rid of my hair algae was getting a garra which are really cool fish, but they didn’t help too much but they’re cool anyways. Then I dosed liquid CO2 which has mixed opinions but it destroyed any algae in my tank in a week, and my plants are really healthy. You could also get some fast growing plants to take out excess nutrients, some food plants for this are hornwort, duckweed, and wisteria.
Ok thanks I'll look into those. I haven't had any luck with other plants that I've put in before, but haven't tried those.

Mouska
The tank doesn’t seem overstocked but I thought angels needed bigger tanks?
If you do a water change every two weeks I think you should do 50% water changes a week since the tank doesn’t have a lot of plants.

ihernandezball
The tank doesn’t seem overstocked but I thought angels needed bigger tanks?
If you do a water change every two weeks I think you should do 50% water changes a week since the tank doesn’t have a lot of plants.
I have asked different fish shops and researched online I was told it would be ok to have an angelfish with this tank, but I have seen a site that said the requirement is a 55 gallon other sites have said less.

Shrimp and/or nirite snails are good algae eaters. Amano shrimp especially and they are big so the angels might not eat them
Haven't tried shrimp, but I have tried nerites. They kept falling off the walls and ending up upside down and I would have to keep flipping them over.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mindy3
Replies
Views
YellowGuppy
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishGuy89
  • Question