Please Help A Shrimp Newb :) Help

1. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Hi all! I am pretty ignorant where freshwater shrimp are concerned, but have been trying my hand at planted tanks and wanted some little lawnmowers. Amano shrimp to the rescue. :D I just purchased a few of these guys yesterday, but one doesn't look just like the others. The spots on the sides aren't easily seen, if there at all, and it just holds itself very differently than the rest. Here's comparison pics, though I'll let you guys know now that I'm a horrible photographer.

20180620_180826_HDR.jpg 20180620_180723_HDR.jpg

A more 'normal' (to me) looking Amano.
    20180620_180703_HDR.jpg

The little guy or gal in question. I'm wondering if I'm just seeing the difference between a male and female because I almost thought this was a preggo female, however, I do know that these guys need brackish water to successfully breed and I see nothing like eggs.

20180620_172007_HDR.jpg 20180620_195952_HDR.jpg 20180620_195958_HDR.jpg

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

I've seen my RCS doing this in the days before a molt. Not sure if this is what's going on here, but it'd make sense with the loss of colour.

3. tetratetris

tetratetris Valued Member Member

Hi :)

Maybe they are it's about to molt? I don't know.

Also lol little lawn mowers makes them sound awesome. :)

4. OP
    OP
    stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

See what a newb I am? That makes sense and I found a molt this morning. :) Hmmm, there is one shrimp that I haven't seen since adding them, so has been in hiding, while the other two, (including fatty), have not. I thought a shrimp in molt would hide, so assumed the molt I found this morning would have been from the one that's MIA. I feel like Jon Snow... I know nothing about these guys, but they are terribly cute, brave around the not so scary betta, and are very hard workers. I've only seen one today, so perhaps fatty molted and is now in hiding along with MIA.

5. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

We're all newbs in one way or another :p

Sounds like you have some brave shrimp! Mine would always molt out in the open, but it was a shrimp-only tank. I'd assume they'd hide during a molt with a predator in the tank, so that's kinda cool.