Please help a noob!!

1. orbelina Member Member

Okay I have a 35 l arcadia glass tank with an arc pod light (not sure if its the 9w or the 11w) housing my betta who now has a damaged dorsal fin...I need to get the plastic plants out and put real ones in but don't know where to start...don't have much budget...will list bits and pieces I do have to see if they are any good...
    Led light from eBay 3.5 watt for tanks up to 50cm with white and blue lights...
    Play sand
    Pea gravel
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=180760244048&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=14713265961
    Not sure if that will work but its link to the light ...this is aswell as the arc pod light that comes with the tank any help would be greatly appreciated

2. orbelina Member Member

Basically can anyone point me in the right direction for planting a tank for my betta and will the led light be better than the arcpod light that comes with the tank?

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Wow, I can't believe you didn't get any responses. Sorry, I know very little about live plants and their lighting requirements. Hopefully someone comes along who can help.

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Some java fern and anubias should be fine in that tank, I would start with the anubias and make sure to not burry the rhizome of it. You can hold it down with a stone or something in the mean time while it gets a hold of things, or use some cotton string to tie it to a decoration.

Java fern would also be a good one, again doesnt like to be rooted in the substrate but attached to other objects. Both will make your tank look great and will help take up excess nitrate from the water column.

5. cameronpalte Member Member

I recommend trying to use Java Fern and Amazon Swords. As for your beta getting hurt, I am sorry, put if you wait it out it should probably be fine.

6. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Amazon Swords are not low light plants and get huge. They should not be used in smaller tanks.

7. ucdcrew Member Member

I agree with catsma on not putting an amazon sword in your tank. My swords got to be about 18 inches tall, and both shot off daughter plants so I had 4 of them in my 55g. I had T5HO lighting to support them, though. They grew so fast that I ended up with blue-green algae (BGA) due to persistant low nitrate levels. They used up the nitrate faster than my fish could produce it. To keep everyone happy, I ended up using root tabs, dosing nitrogen and liquid fertilizer for the plants that take nutrients from the water column, and having to make 3 DIY CO2 reactors.

My anubias stayed nice and short. The other option if you are just replacing the plastic plants because they damaged the betta is to get softer, silk plants. I kept silk plants in my quarantine tank so fish could hide. They did pretty well. You also wouldn't need to buy a new light for silk plants ;)

8. iRun Member Member

I wasn't able to see the color spectrum on that LED, but I'm guessing you'd be fine with java ferns and anubias. Really easy plants to care for with very forgiving light requirements. I'm using LED on both of my tanks now and the java fern and anubias are growing great. Also consider java moss or willow moss. All of these things attach to stuff as opposed to being "planted" (as stated above) I just let my java ferns find their own place as they reproduce. And I second the suggestion of using thread. I use green thread to attach them to wood, rocks, etc... The thread will eventually break down or you can remove it once the plant is secure. Try the LED! Uses less energy, runs cooler, longer lifespan...

9. jbdub Member Member

Some people say indian almond leaves can help betta's heal. Apparently people who fight them use these leaves after to accelerate healing(sad I know)
    Maybe someone on here can confirm or deny their usefullness