>>PLEASE HELP A FRUSTRATED BEGINNER!!<<

1. nap83 Initiate Member

I am very new at the hobby, and so far so good... I have 5 neon tetras, 2 albino corys, 2 sunset platys, 4 ghost shrimp, 2 snails, 4 danios, & a betta (I've moved him to a little tank since he got nipped by the danios!) in a 10 gallon tank.

here's the problem, I got the tank almost a month & a half ago with no idea what the term cycling was (I thought just treating the water would be just fine!!!) everything was fine until a week ago when it got extremely cloudy, so i cleaned the water out. amazingly non of the fish died, & they all seem happy but the water seems to be clouding up again. why did this happen so late? now i don't know what to do since I got all this fish crammed up in a tank!!

I love my fish & don't want to think about losing them, the reason why I started is to introduce myself to the hobby so I can get a 75 gallon for saltwater.

the burning question: CAN I CYCLE MY TANK WHILE THE FISH IS IN THERE?! IS THERE SUCH A PRODUCT THAT WILL NOT HARM THEM?!

PLEASE HELP I DON'T WANT MY FISH TO DIE!

2. fletch Member Member

the cloudiness is either a dirty filter or one which doesnt have much bacteria in it. Its advisable to cycle before you get any fish but it can be done with them. Just dont expect them all to survive. The best thing you can do is 50% water changes for the next week and put in some commercialy grown bacteria from your local shop. You cant ever overdose fish on this bacteria so put a capfull of 2 in each time you finish a water change

3. Craig Well Known Member Member

if ur usin the cycle product in ur tank or any other treatments can cause cloudiness but it goes away in a day or so but the filter could b the problem try changin ur filter media but dont cahnge it all at once as this will destroy the beneficial bacteria in ur filter which is needed, ur fish did well 2 survive ! get sum nutrafin cycle if ur from the uk not sure if they hav it in the U.S of A dont hav a clue where ur from so i couldnt actually tell ya lol

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Here is an article that explains what cycling is all about. https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/TheNitrogenCycle.htm
    You have a few too many fish for your 10 gallon tank. The Danios like a longer tank so they have plenty of room to swim. Maybe the fish store will take some of them back. If you insist on keeping all of them, yes you can cycle with them, but you have to have a test kit and test for ammonia,nitrite and nitrates frequently, and do frequent water changes until your cycle is finished. If your not careful you will lose the majority of them, especially the corys and neons. Why am I so adamant about all this? because I've been here and done this ;D I think all of us have done this at one time or other, just hang in there ;). There is a product called BioSpira that you can put into your water and immediately add your fish, don't know how good it is this far down the road.
    The cloudiness is a bacteria bloom, the beneficial bacteria is trying to catch up. Keep up the water changes and test often when your cycle is done the cloudiness will go away. Hope that helps
    Carol

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Nap83. It's a good thing that you decided to ask about cycling the newly set-up tank because it is so important. A while ago, I wrote a post about cycling, so I am just going to copy and paste it for you (and change some information so that it best suits your questions). This post applies to cycling a freshwater aquarium. Here:

It is generally not a good idea to put the fish in your tank the day that tank was set up, or even some time after the tank was set up (talking about, say, 2 weeks). When you first set up a new aquarium tank, it lacks an appropriate environment. Right temperature alone isn't enough. You need the right pH level for the kind of fish you have, as well as (at best) ZERO ammonia level. Pay careful attention to nitrates and nitrites as well. When you first set ap a tank, you have to wait for the internal environment to stabilize (or for the tank to "mature") - that may take up to a few weeks. Oh, and if you're using tap water, do not forget to add a dechlorinator to it. Now, in a new tank there are no essential bacteria to break down wastes as well as to cope with toxic levels of ammonia (ammonia develops quickly in a newly setup tank). However, if you allow some time to pass (speaking in weeks), the bacteria will gradually increase. Once that happens, the bacteria will be able to convert the toxic ammonia into a compound called nitrite - which also is toxic, though less toxic than ammonia. Then, as toxic nitrite increases, so does another kind of bacteria that, too, will break nitrite down into a compound called nitrate. Nitrate is even less toxic than nitrite. But of course, nitrate will also have to be removed. This is done by regular water changes - about 25% of your tankwater should be changed every 2 weeks in general (depending on the amount and type of fish you have). This entire process takes a few weeks. After few weeks have passed, and the internal environment is stabilized, then you're ready to buy fish and put it in your tank.

Now, back to the current post. Ammonia and nitrates are very dangerous substances to your fish. If they are present in your water even in small amounts, the fish may die from them. If you do not have one, you should buy a test kit that includes tests for measuring ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels. In a newly set-up tank, you should measure all of these water parameters frequently. In a cycled aquarium, ammonia and nitrite read zero and nitrate should be at best zero as well. And when your water is finally cycled, then you measure these levels once every week or once every two weeks (if the fish are healthy and everything seems fine in general) to make sure everything is safe.

And my last thought. From what I gather you have 20 fish in a 10 gallon tank. 10 gallon tank is definitely way too small for 20 fish. I understand that you're planning on setting up a 75 gallon tank. This one would be perfect for the amount of fish you have, and you could add even more fish then. The general rule is to have 1" of fish per 1 gallon of water, but I'd give 2 gallons of water per 1" of fish. Also, you have to consider the maximum size to which all of your fish will grow in order to calculate the space needed for them. Always count their adult size and accomodate the tank's volume and size to such measurements. For example, let's say you want to buy 10 neons and 2 angelfish for a 75 gallon tank. Neons grow to about 1" and angels grow up to 4-5' (or more). So we multiply 10" of neons by 2 gallons of water = 20 gallons (needed for 10 neons). And we multiply 10" of angelfish (2 angelfish x 5" each gives us 10" of angelfish) by 2 gallons of water = 20 gallons (needed for 2 adult angelfish). That gives us the total of 40 gallons of water required for 10 neons and 2 angelfish when all are grown. We used the "2 gallons per 1" of fish" rule. That would mean that your 75 gallon tank would be more than enough in our example.

Lastly, if a lot of time is going to pass before you set up and cycle your 75 gallon tank, you must take good care of the 20 fish in your 10 gallon tank. You must monitor the water all the time and perform frequent water changes. Also, make sure the filtration is adequate. Good Luck with everything.

6. nap83 Initiate Member

thanks for the replies guys. i'm from maryland, usa. awhile ago i went to my local exotic aquarium to ask for help. i got this thing called BIOZYME which (if done right) could cycle the tank. the owner of the aquarium told me to settle on it because of the amount of fish i had (it's not the best but desperate measures call it). i've lost 2 of the tetras unfortunately... one got caught in the filter & the other one was just plain missing for 12 hours now. seems to be working fine but i have to put a quarter of a teaspoon everyday for the next seven days, then 3-4 times a week after that. the owner also said to change 20-30% of the water everyday, up until it cycles out. i also got 2 little plants to help out. hopefully it works!
    if you guys got comments on this.. feel free. thanks

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

The only thing you can do is follow through now. Wish you and your fishies the best of luck.
    Now when you do your 75G saltwater that is a whole new ball game. The only thing I know about saltwater is you can't crowd them up. They are very sensitive and expensive fish to lose.
    My suggestion would be , before you try to set up a saltwater is to do alot of research.
    Yell if you need anything
    Carol