Please Give Advice

1. Patti_i4 Initiate Member

I hope someone can give me some good advice on what to do here. I manage an apartment complex in Wisconsin and a previous tenant abandoned a 30 gallon aquarium with 2 large angel type fish in it. The tank is horribly dirty but the fish are still alive. I've done a water change and cleaned the filter but seems like it is in such bad shape that it would be best to break the whole tank down and start over. I coincidently bought a tank and am in the process of cycling it.(3 weeks now.) What would be the best way to treat the fish in the other tank, transfer them to mine or try to clean the other tank? We will have to move the abandoned tank anyway but am wondering what the best way to do that would be. Would appreciate any advice that would help to save these fish. I'm new at this and am attempting to set up my first aquarium. Information is available to teach me this but not what to do with an abondoned slimy aquarium with fish in it. Thank you!

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Since you are going to have to move the fish anyway, take the filter media out of the dirty filter, rinse it in used tank water(I know it's dirty, but will preserve good bacteria) transfer the old filter and media to the new tank and move the fish into the new tank.
    This transfer of media and filter will finish cycling your tank, if in the future you want to replace the filter media only replace 1/2 at a time and about a month apart then you will be set for filter stuff for a long time. Just rinse it in used tank water about once a month there after. Hope that helps.
    Carol

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

All I have to say is I can't believe how mean and reckless and totally unreasonable people can be. If I knew that I will be moving out soon, I would not get a tank IN THE FIRST PLACE. Because it is so obvious that it's hard to quickly move a tank. How dumb (forgive me that I had to use this word) does a person have to be not to know this? Or how actually lazy? How mean does a person have to be to simply "abandon" the fish? An easy way out, huh? What a ruthless way to get rid of the responsibility (yes, it is your responsibility to do something with the tank if you were the one to get the tank). This tenant seriously needs to learn some manners. What a shame. I am very sorry to be saying all this, but such people and such behavior really stir anger and disbelief in me.

4. Patti_i4 Initiate Member

I guess I should have mentioned that the tank I bought was used so it isn't a brand new set up. I just put it all back together with the same gravel, filter and everything. I was worried how to transport the fish for one. Will the new water shock them or should I bag them with a mix of water to get them used to it? Thanks for your advice. What a great site this is!

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Patti :) just do as Butterfly says, and everything will be fine, believe me :) It's so nice of you to take the abandoned tank. Shame on that tenant once again!

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Patti you could even transport them in a bucket if you need to. It would be a good idea to take them to your home in some of the old water, then add some of the new water and let them set for 15-30- minutes, take some of the water out of the bucket(read transport container) add some new water and wait 15-30 minutes. Repeat this process until you think most of the old water has been removed. This is called acclimation. It's always best to acclimate fish when theres going to be a large change in water conditions, temperature or any of the parameters important to them.
    Again thank you for being so great for taking this responsibility on, especially on such short notice.
    Patti you said the set -up is used(alot of mine were too).unless your using the gravel and filter from an active aquarium everything needs to be rinsed before using. How are you cycling the new tank?
    Carol

7. dano569 Member Member

we found a 10 gallon tank in a rent house that was about half full of water with no filtration or heat and had 3 black skirts,2 small oscars,2 giant danios,and a huge pleco. :mad: people are very cruel and don't care sometimes about anything.i gave the oscars to someone,but they didn't make it. :'( i kept the danios and tetras and they are doing fine. ;D

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Some people don't count fish as feeling beings. But then there are those who abandon dogs, cats and other types of pets also. Just glad theres good people out there to help pick up the slack. Don't get me started ;)
    Carol

9. Patti_i4 Initiate Member

The rescue fish seem to be doing ok. Did another water change and vacummed their gravel yesterday. imagine I have changed better than half of their water. The filter was very slimy and i may have screwed up in that i rinsed it in tap water and put it back in. It is looking better and they don't seem to be acting funny or anything. I haven't tested the water in mine so don't know what the levels are yet. Want to test the water before moving them, but had to get a test kit. They only had a Ph level test kit with mine. Thankfully you all have alot of info here on testing levels for everything else. Test kit should be arriving soon. The old tank set that I bought was an active tank. Older friend here gave up on it after many years. Apparently his all died and there weren't any fish in it for several months. Poor guy loved doing it but can't see anymore to take care of it properly, which is why I bought his set up. Basically everything was rinsed and then reset back up. Ph level is currently 7.8. Do I need to change water out of the new tank for cycling. I just refilled it, put some of the chlorine removal stuff in there and have had the filter running. Do I need to do more? I plan to move the fish when mine is ok and then break down the abandoned tank, clean it up and put it in our office and then put fish in again when it is ready. Both tanks are 30 gallon. On the upside everyone, I charged the guy $30.00 for removing his abandoned aquarium. I'm sure he will call complaning about charging him for his so called gift. He will hear about it if he does. Fortunately I was wanting to do this and I get to acquire 2 30 gallon aquariums with everything I need for the most part for a total cost of $40.00. One for home and the other to take care of at work. It will be a nice addition to the office. And it was very affordable and worth the efforts if i manage to pull this off and save the fish. They are 2 beautiful Angels who I hope will get through this ok. Thanks for all your help. I will keep you posted.

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Patti heres a good place to start when setting up the new tank.
    http://fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=620.0
    Since the tank had been inactive for several months(all the beneficial bacteria are dead) I would rinse and clean everything. Then re-set it up.
    I noticed you rinsed the filter in tap water, the chlorine in tap water generally kills the beneficial bacteria thats why I advised rinsing in tank water. ;)
    The thirty gallon is perfect for two angels, and after you get all this sorted out you can shop for more fish to go with them AND get to fill another 30 Gal ;D Glad the angels are doing ok, they are tough fish. Hope that helps, just yell if you need anything.
    Carol

11. dano569 Member Member

i feel bad enough for giving any of my pets away when i have to.i don't know how anyone could just leave something. :mad:

12. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Dano, what about the huge pleco? Did it make it? It is indeed hard even to imagine giving up any of your fish, much less abandoning it! I don't think I could even give away any of my fish.

13. dano569 Member Member

yes he made it also.i give some away sometimes because of aggression.i took a shovelnose i had for about 3 months to the pet store and they told me the guy that bought them didn't have enough oxygen in the water and he died. :'( it made me feel really bad for taking him up there,at least he had a good life when i had him. :'(

14. Patti_i4 Initiate Member

Yeah sorry, I had already rinsed the filter before I saw your post. Will there still be enough bacteria in the water to get in the filter again or will it kill anything that goes through it now?

15. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It will rebuild, just watch for an ammonia spike. Should be ok.
    Carol

16. Patti_i4 Initiate Member

Carol,
    If I were to take the filter out of the abandoned tank that the angels are in and put it in mine, how long can the fish go without it in theirs without hurting them yet still getting some of the bacteria going in my tank? Or are you saying the amononia is going to spike in their tank because I cleaned the filter in tap water? Also had another question. I bought one of those phython water change kits but it has you putting the water in directly from the tap. I added the cloramine / chlorine removal stuff to the water immediately after adding the water but is this safe for the fish? Thanks for all your help.
    Patti

17. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

The python is wonderful. SWome put the dechlor into the stream of water going back into the tank and that mixes it pretty good and is fine for your fish.
    When you move the filter I would move the fish. Are there decorations of any kind in the abandoned tank you would care to move over? They would have good bacteria on them also.

I said the ammonia might spike because of rinsing with tap water.
    Carol