Please critique my stocking plan

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Heather M, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Heather M

Heather MWell Known MemberMember

I have a 20g high, which will be planted. The filter is an AquaClear 50. I have had bettas in the past, so stocking has never really been an issue. I'm fairly new to community tanks. I used AqAdvisor, which I have heard is not always accurate. Here is what I came up with:

1 Dwarf Gourami
    1 Male Guppy
    2 Female Guppies
    2 Male Platies
    5 Female Platies
    3 Horned Nerite Snails

Is this ok? If not, I'd appreciate suggestions!
    I have sand substrate. Should I get some MTS? By the way, please ignore my aquarium info. I haven't updated it in a long time. The tank is currently cycling.

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

To many livebearers! You'll be inundated with fry. I would stick with the guppies and ditch the platys.

Yes, definitely get mts. They are a benefit in every tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Heather M

Won't the dwarf gourami eat the fry? And I like platies more than guppies.

4. Jaysee

It'll eat some of them, but each female can pop out 30 every month. Even if most of them get eaten, you'll still wind up with too many.

If you like platys better go with platys. A 20 is the smallest tank I would keep them in, which is why I said guppies.

5. OP
    OP
    Heather M

Could you give me a suggestion then? I already have a male and female platy as well as two female guppies in qt while their tank finishes cycling. I love dwarf gouramis, so I'd really like to have one of those. At the very least I want another female platy or two, and I'd really like to have a male guppy and some horned nerite snails. I want a very colorful tank. I thought about red cherry shrimp or even a less colorful type of shrimp. I also really like venezuelan pygmy cories, but they would quite possibly be hard to find. I'm not a huge fan of tetras, but cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, diamond head neon tetras, and X-Ray Pristella Tetras are ok. My favorite is probably the diamond head neon tetra, but they are expensive from what I've seen. I love glass catfish, but I didn't think I'd still be able to have a very colorful aquarium if I took up room to have a school of them. I love celestial pearl danios, but I believe that they are rather expensive. I'll have to check at the lfs. I'd probably have to have them ordered. I don't like zebra danios, and I hate glofish.

6. OP
    OP
    Heather M

Anyone?

7. Jaysee

I would get a honey gourami, rather than a dwarf gourami, have the platys and pick a small schooling fish.

8. kb9plc

kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

I agree with the honey gourami. I have a sunset honey gourami in one tank and a neon blue dwarf in another. The honey is much more social than the blue. Just as an example. Plus.... the honey gourami is smaller. Probably better suited for your tank. :)

As for color.... how about a school of harloquin rasboras?
    Unfortunatley most of the small supa-color fish that are coming to my mind are, in fact, tetras or varieties of harder to find danios:;dk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice