Please Could Someone Identify This Larvae/worm?

1. P

Poverestpedant Member Member

Hello,

My first thread as I've been scouring the internet, but still haven't found the answer. Could someone please provide an ID from the attached? It was trying to bury itself into the substrate and may have hitched a lift on a nerite snail as it appeared almost as soon as I added them, it could of course been a complete coincidence. Thank you in advance. 3834bb466bb47d0ae22c5317334353ae.jpg

2. clarissasjh

clarissasjh Member Member

Looks like a kind of medusa worm to me

Edit:
    If I'm not wrong they are a type of sea cucumber and is quite safe for your tank as they don't go on attacking other tank mates but quite vulnerable to predators though

3. OP
    OP
    P

Thank you for the reply. Sorry, I should have clarified that it's a cold water/freshwater tank.

4. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Member Member

How the heck did that get in your tank?

5. OP
    OP
    P

I have NO idea! I can only assume it either came in as an egg or perhaps on the nerites. It was about 6-8cm long. As it was a UFO I deposited in a water butt as don't want to take any risks.

Unfortunately I'd recently lost 10 RCS despite nothing being wrong with my water parameters. I hope it wasn't responsible.

6. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

That is creepy!!

7. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Yuck! If I saw that I would be taking out my substrate and replacing it. Maybe screaming a little too. But, I'm kinda a woosey when it comes to creatures with that many legs.

8. R

RyanLewis Member Member

What the frick is that? xD

9. Keystone

Keystone Well Known Member Member

Looks like a cranefly larvae to me

10. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

That's a cranefly larva. Coulda had a cranefly lay eggs in your tank OR it was a hitchhiker. Either way, he's pretty harmless. Toss him out.

11. OP
    OP
    P

Thank you for your help. Yes the patio window has been open during the summer so quite possible.