Please Check my Stocking Plans (I’m a Beginner)

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,

I’m a total beginner. I’m doing a fish less cycle in my first tank, it’s a standard 75 gallon.
The tank will be planted.
Can someone with more experience check if my stocking plans are realistic?

Eventual stocking plans for planted 75 gallon with FX 4 Filter:

3x Honey Gourami
11x Harlequin Rasboras
9x Cherry Barbs
7x Otocinclus
11x Corydoras Sterbai
7x Kuhli loach
1x Bolivian ram

Will I be overstocked?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't believe you're overstocked, assuming you stock slowly, have adequate filtration, and plants for the fish to hide behind, but it's close. Are you sure you want kuhli loaches and corys? That's a lot going on at the bottom of the tank. I'd probably drop the loaches, but that's mostly personal preference.

OP
M

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
I don't believe you're overstocked, assuming you stock slowly, have adequate filtration, and plants for the fish to hide behind, but it's close. Are you sure you want kuhli loaches and corys? That's a lot going on at the bottom of the tank. I'd probably drop the loaches, but that's mostly personal preference.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll take that into consideration!

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Please reconsider the Otos. They are not for a brand new tank. They are specialized feeders, a tank should be up and running at least 6 months. Also most often parasite ridden wild caughts, with a survival rate depending on the batch of sometimes even less than 10%.

Edit: I'd offer this stocking idea instead:

4 Honey Gourami
20 Harlequin Rasboras
15 Kuhli loaches

OP
M

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MacZ said:
Please reconsider the Otos. They are not for a brand new tank. They are specialized feeders, a tank should be up and running at least 6 months. Also most often parasite ridden wild caughts, with a survival rate depending on the batch of sometimes even less than 10%.

Edit: I'd offer this stocking idea instead:

4 Honey Gourami
20 Harlequin Rasboras
15 Kuhli loaches
I know the ottos need a well established tank, I was hoping to add them much later on but wanted to make sure I had room for them. Thank you for pointing this out though as I know many people are unaware :) Thank you for your reply

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Megaanemp said:
I know the ottos need a well established tank, I was hoping to add them much later on but wanted to make sure I had room for them. Thank you for pointing this out though as I know many people are unaware :) Thank you for your reply
Ok, then it should be clear you should get tank raised if possible. Nice. :) Sorry, gotten quite the advocate after my experiences.
7 would actually still fit, my idea for another stocking list was radical understocking. :) I am not sure if this would work together, still, but I haven't had a regular community tank in over 20 years.

OP
M

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MacZ said:
Ok, then it should be clear you should get tank raised if possible. Nice. :) Sorry, gotten quite the advocate after my experiences.
7 would actually still fit, my idea for another stocking list was radical understocking. :) I am not sure if this would work together, still, but I haven't had a regular community tank in over 20 years.
No worries! I appreciate you standing up for the fish:) I appreciate your help

New Threads