Please be safe!! Hurricane Earl

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You guys in Eastern Carolina and the North East please be safe...These things with storm surges etc can be a bit unpredictable at times and Earl is a biggy.

I think we in Maryland will just be missed, Earl has started tracking NE !!

Charistory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Where I live, in NH, the city has sent out an e-mail warning people about hurricanes and how to prepare for them. We had 91 mph gusts back in the spring with a storm and we had no idea it was going to be that powerful. We live on the seacoast (yes, NH does have a seacoast) and will be heading up to my parents who are closer to VT for the worst of it. This one is more likely to be damaging because it's over the ocean and not coming on land where it loses strength.
Thanks for the concern.

Shock

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Living about 500 meters from the Bay, I actually am a little concerned. How do I keep my fish going if I lose power for any extended period of time? ???

I can't exactly just borrow a generator to run my tanks.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We went for 4 days without power after Isabell and all my tanks were ok.

Some people here have battery operated airpumps for emergencies.

Your filters should be ok...some die back of bacteria may happen, but it takes quite a while for it all to die. If should get a large outage, just let the tanks come back slowly...water changes and light feeding.

I hope all goes well, we nearly always flood and power out is a given, not to mention that comcast goes out if it gets cloudy!!...lolol

As ChiclidYay mentioned...fry are way sensitive to loss of standard conditions. If you have a load or 2, then a battery airpump would be best for them first.

I have no idea about a complete saltwater shut down.

As a side note: I just realized these situations would really test anyone with an overstocked tank!!

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well we made it ok. Hurricane Earl stayed off shore for the Chesapeake. Thanks for the well wishes... and to those on the Carolina Coast I hope any damage is minimal. Wishing and hoping the same to you all in the North East.

Earl for us is less than a Nor-easter!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom